✅ SOLVED Shorty rimfire bullet casing?

CChucKK

Apr 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello -
I dug what looks like a copper rimfire bullet casing. It has no markings. It measures 11 mm (0.43") high (very short), with a base diameter of 10 mm (0.39"). It has no flang (rim) around the bottom and bottom is smooth (not center fire). Found on my property in Northern Canada in an area that was prospected circa 1905. I have looked around at various casing databases but can't find anything similar - lack of any markings doesn't help. NE1 seen anything similar or have an idea what type of bullet this is or gun it would have been fired from?
Thanks
CChucKK

Attachments

• Casing.jpg
    Casing.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 38

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The total lack of a base-ring should tell you conclusively that your find is not a bullet cartridge-casing. In actuality, it is the copper jacket from a half-jacketed 10mm bullet, stripped off of the bullet's lead core by impact with something like a tree or the ground. See the images below. But note, some of the copper jackets in the photo are "taller" (semi-jacketed) than your half-jacket version.

Attachments

• bullet_copperjacket_32-Long_reloads_colt6b.jpg
    bullet_copperjacket_32-Long_reloads_colt6b.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 32
  • bullet_COPPERJACKETED_semi-jacketed_45-caliber_hollowpoint_0102_1.jpg
    bullet_COPPERJACKETED_semi-jacketed_45-caliber_hollowpoint_0102_1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 29
  • bullet_COPPER-JACKETED_semi-jacketed_fired1.jpg
    bullet_COPPER-JACKETED_semi-jacketed_fired1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CChucKK

Apr 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The total lack of a base-ring should tell you conclusively that your find is not a bullet cartridge-casing. In actuality, it is the copper jacket from a half-jacketed 10mm bullet, stripped off of the bullet's lead core by impact with something like a tree or the ground. See the images below. But note, some of the copper jackets in the photo are "taller" (semi-jacketed) than your half-jacket version.

makes sense - thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread