Should I get an Ace 250?

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello... I am looking for another detector. I have tried to use my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, but it's not really cutting it. I've heard a lot of good things about the Ace 250 and was wondering if it's worth a try, or whether I should get a different one in the same price range (White's Prizm etc.). Thanks!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The Ace 250 is a good detector i have one and like it. A lot of people cut it down and i do not know why. For what you get for around $200.00 to me is a lot for that price i was going to sell mine more than once then i take it out and use it and say i can't sell this .It sure surprise's me every time i take it out........==Jim_K==

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the money the ACE 250 is a bargin and you won't be ripped off. Some people are snobs and like to put down other detectors.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
ACE 250 .......so much detectector for so little $$$$ :thumbsup:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
ACE 250 is suppose to be one of the best low priced machines out there.
I am having a little trouble with mine figuring out which is a false signal and which isn't.
Also the ID on it is usually wrong. My Bounty Hunter - Quicksilver has a very good correct ID.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
The Ace250 is a great little machine for the price. I can take it to several of my sites and do well with it. The ID is pretty accurate. I have seen it drop a notch in certain soils, but most of the time it's right on the money. It is also a very sensative machine and finds some pretty small items. I have the sniper coil and the 10x12 for it as well and both of these add to a great machine.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Relichunters, I have some help for you.

Relichunters,
It simply sounds like your running the 250 too hot. Falsing is a clue to either too much sens or too hot ground. First reduce your sens one notch at a time until it runs smooth. This could be 4 or even lower. Once you have found the right sens setting for a particular site then the ID will be more accurate. Sweep speed about 1 second. Keep the coil flat and level just above the ground. Wet grass will cause some falsing too. Just raise the coil to where your not in the wet grass too much. Dry grass is no problem. Once you get a target. Pinpoint it. Then make quick 2 inch sweeps directly over that spot for proper ID. Let me know if you have any questions?
Kenny

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
It's hard to beat the features the 250 offers for the price range..........I'd say get it. There are other detectors out there in the same price range, but the 250 is pretty well rounded, especially in the fact that it offers a target ID, Pin Point feature and a really good notching system for discriminating and creating your own custom programs.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
USE IT ALOT AND IT WILL GET BETTER.IT IS A COIN FINDER. :thumbsup:

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Very funny....I'm a ACE fan and now I'm so amazed from that little Tracker IV I had off from E-Bay for a handfull of cents. So I'm seriously thinking to the QDII or SSII as the next. What is wrong with your TIV?

Anyway the ACE is a great little machine, works unbelievably well but it can feel the lack of a manual/automatic ground balancing and I realized how important it is with the CX and then theTracker IV...In trashy areas it jumps and bing-boing all around a lot even when you put the sens down, but discriminate the pulltabs very well, less iron and bottle caps in my experience.

I never used all the 5 preset modes so they're useless to me, but is because of my search way: all metal or coin mode only.The 9x12 coil is expensive and gave me super depth results on the relics only not so much on the coins...I think the 4.5 sniper is very good and works fine but is expensive too if compared with BH ones. By the way of the Tracker IV I don't use the pinpoint more...so this feature is useless too, to me. I can pinpoint so fine with only one sweep of the TIV that I risk to damage the coin with the trowel when I dig it out...Then, since I have the TIV I fallen in love with the round coils....A matter of taste, of course....

Here a picture a of a roman coin (follis?) found with the ACE....You don't go wrong with it. ;D

Cheers.

Melvin

Attachments

• ace reduced.jpg
    ace reduced.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,201

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
Garrett is giving you people a break for the 250 has dam near all the whistle and bells that all the hi price detectors have for a $200.00. Yes they do not get the depth of the hi Priced units but come darn close. Bill

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
If they had round concentric coils they would go a little deeper. But the elliptical coil on the 250 covers more ground per sweep. So it's really a toss up. I would rather cover more ground and get 8 inches deep. Now the 4.5 inch sniper coil is round. It is better at separating targets due to it's size and configuration.

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
khouse said:
If they had round concentric coils they would go a little deeper. But the elliptical coil on the 250 covers more ground per sweep. So it's really a toss up. I would rather cover more ground and get 8 inches deep. Now the 4.5 inch sniper coil is round. It is better at separating targets due to it's size and configuration.

I'm not very experienced, but I wonder if the BH round coil could be deeper 'cause it's 8" as the ACE one is just 6,5". And this could be why is reported that the Fisher F2 is deeper than the ACE: has the same coil of the TIV.

The TIV performances are unbelievable for the unit price...I think the auto ground balancing as the 8" round coil have a good part on it..

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Melvin,
I tried a F2 and in air test both the 250 and F2 were the same. The 250 is a lot easier to notch accept or reject. Also the 4 inch coil on the F2 was very hot on the sides. Even at the lowest sens setting you couldn't get within 12 inches of the play equipment supports. The 4.5 inch Ace sniper will get you right next to them.

SkiWhiz

Aug 6, 2006
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre
You couldn't run fast enough to catch me to give me another Ace. Couldn't stand the nasty belltone sounds or the super slow recovery speed. Do yourself a favor and get a F2 or even better a Tesoro Silver umax. Steve.

P.S. Yes I have owned and used 2 Ace 250's and 1 Ace 150. I know most people like them but they are not for me.

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. I'm wondering about the Fisher F2 though. Is it like an Ace at all?

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
khouse said:
Melvin,
I tried a F2 and in air test both the 250 and F2 were the same. The 250 is a lot easier to notch accept or reject. Also the 4 inch coil on the F2 was very hot on the sides. Even at the lowest sens setting you couldn't get within 12 inches of the play equipment supports. The 4.5 inch Ace sniper will get you right next to them.

So these sounds on the F2 aren't so true, if you got the proof. I will compare the ACE to the TIV in air, still haven't had the time. I can only say that TIV seemed deeper than the ACE on a coin I buried in my yard 1 year ago: 50 Eurocents at 9" (measured). The ACE found it with the 9x12 only and very faint, while the TIV found it with the 8" coil and in disc. mode, faint too but I would dig.

I'll let you know about air tests....

M.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread