Should I get an Ace 250?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Personally I like the Garrett bell tone. The sound I didn't like on the F2 was it's pinpoint tone. It sounded like a bad Duck call. So to each their own. Anyway the air test was done with both detectors sens maxed out in the all metal modes. Measured with a wooden ruler. I can't be sure now but I think they both hit a silver dime at 9 inches. The 250 gave a proper ID and the F2 said it was iron. The F2 ID on most anything deeper than 4 inches wasn't close on the target ID. This is my personal experience.

Relichunter,
Sometimes you have to keep lowering the sens on the 250 to run it without falsing. Sometimes that could be as low as 3 in my area all the way up to max. I start out with high sens and simply bump it down while hunting to the proper level. It still goes pretty deep at 3 or 4.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Simple answer - it's the hottest selling detector on the market and for good reason - a whole lot of bang for the buck.

Bill

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
I managed some air test with ACE and Tracker IV. I used a 50 Eurocent coin (bronze, quite an inch diameter) and both detectors all sens up. I've measured with a plastic ruler. The ACE starts detecting it at 9" (appr. 22,50 cm.), the TIV at 8,5" (appr. 21,50 cm.), so I found a slight ACE superiority in air.
Not in the normal conditions field, to me. The ACE was unable to find a 50 eurocents coin I buried one year ago at 9", while the TIV found'em very faint. After 15 daze of strong rains (as I never seen before) my yard was flooded and the ground was moist so the ACE was able to find that coin, while the TIV chattered a lot so I had turn the sens down and it didn't find the coin more.

All in all the ACE seemed stable in the different soil conditions (not wet sand) with sens up, as the TIV had some problem with the moist (sens up too). TIV discriminates irons very well and rarely I've dug iron in place of a good target. ACE loves twisted and rusted irons and often reads'em like coins but shares pulltabs from shells as the TIV doesn't. ACE loves bottlecaps...
I think they're both usefull to me.. ;D ;D ;D and I like both'em but prefer the lightness, balance and round coil of TIV. ACE have more features, but, as I said, I never use 'em. Depht indication is rarely accurate and more when pinpointing than in normal use.

M.

rickchittum

Greenie
Dec 2, 2008
I owned the Ace 250. Simply a great detector for the money. I traded mine up to a Fisher f4 which is also a great one. I, now am selling mine and trading up again. So where ever you start, you will enjoy. Just learn your machines capabilities and how to use it properly. A lot of people get frustrated in not understanding their equipment. Good luck

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uncle Willy said:
Simple answer - it's the hottest selling detector on the market and for good reason - a whole lot of bang for the buck.

Bill

could not have said it better............... :thumbsup:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron_c said:
My only complaint is pin pointing with the 250. It's never in the same area. Sometimes it's in the rear of the coil, other times in on the right hand side of the coil but never in the so called center of the coil. I don't think I should complain, after looking on Youtube at some of the other people using different brands they can't do any better either. Cutting a 6" or larger plug, 6 to 8" deep and then using a pin pointer to find the target still in the wall.

Youtube will show you that one guy with a minelab dug a hole the size of a basketball and used the sunray probe....Goes to show it isn't the machine it is the "digger"..

cchunter

Feb 28, 2009
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 250 and like it. Most of the false signals I get are from hitting something, like a high spot in beach sand or a stick when relic hunting. My only other complaint is its YELLOW, I fixed that by painting it black. If you don't want to spend lot of money and just going to MD once in awhile its a great machine. If you are going at MD full time you might want a better machine. For me its just what I was looking for and would recommend it to anyone.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Yes, of course! :thumbsup:

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great machine and I love it. Pinpointing is easier with the larger coil and the small coil but that's just my preference. Because of my bad hearing, i love the bell tone but that is just a preference also. I'm using my GTI2500 more lately but I can hunt with the Ace250 longer because of it's weight. :icon_thumleft:

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an ACE advocate. A little bias as this is the only machine I have ever had. Found coins the very first time I took it to the beach/out. (dry sand). It falses in the wet/salt/ black sand. I have approximately three hundred hours on the machine and I now trust it completely. In the beginning I questioned what it was saying. Using head phones is the only way to go as you can distinguish between the different tones that each coin gives. I can tell you what I am going to dig without looking at the display. I have the 6x10 and 9x12 coils. most of the time I search in all metal. Hear more tones/targets. When I use the larger coil I reduce the sensivity by at lease two notches/bars. This will give me greater debth. I am thinking of adding the infinium to be used in the gold country of CA. HHHH

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
This is my second year metal detecting. Have yet to get to any decent spots, and have mostly been in a very trashy park. Bought the sniper coil as well, and have heard there is another coil that goes deeper, which I want for some very old homesteads/coach roads where things might be a bit deeper.

I must say I really like my Ace 250. It isn't a perfect machine, but it is very good for the money. I am at the point now where I can usually tell what is trash, but I often dig up most everything just in case. Pinpointing with the stock coil takes some time to learn, but once you get to know how to do it you can be pretty accurate. Pinpointing with the sniper coil is as easy as you can possibly get. The depth indicator is pretty useless though. I rarely find anything at the depths indicated.

I will upgrade one day, probably after I have made a few good finds to fund/justify the upgrade! For now though I am happy with my 250. It is a good detector for the money and it is very light, which is a must for me (blown discs in my back mean any additional weight drastically decreases my time out hunting). For a first detector, or a backup detector, or even one to have around in case someone wants to join you and learn, this is a good little machine.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
brokenarrow said:
Uncle Willy said:

Bill

could not have said it better............... :thumbsup:

Ditto!!

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good mac hine missed my so much had to get another. :headbang: :notworthy:

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Some people try the ace 250 but either dont read the directions, watch the video, or just dont give it enough time to get used to....then complain about it , most people love them though and thats the reason they are so popular. I love mine, it has increased my finds quite a bit. You can expect 7 to 8 inches of depth as long as you dont turn the sensitivity down too far, but in some instances you really need to turn it down losing a little depth but its worth it. If you get the small sniper coil believe it or not you get almost as much depth with it as with the stock 6x9....I didnt believe it until I tried it.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
relichunters said:
I find it hard to figure out which is a false signal on my ACE 250

A false signal wont repeat , or if it does it wont repeat well especially at different angles or swing speeds. Best way to maximize your time and save the headaches is to only dig solid repeating clear targets....if it hops around or only beeps on the forward swing and not the back or vice versa,.... pass it by, but dig them now and then to remind yourself why you are passing them up. For some reason the aces get more than their share of false hits , just about everything Ive read from users mentions this. Who knows why,... Id bet that Garrett just tried to make sure it was super sensitive to make up for its lack of depth or ground balance and the extra sensitivity has a price to pay along with any benefit it causes.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going for coins the F2 rivals machines that are 900 dollars trust me i own a quattro. Now if your looken for coins and jewlry the Ace 250 is hands down the best for the Price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread