Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank called and said their half bag is full and I can have it if I want. I am torn

the first 720 coins were mine, I normally don't dump at my own bank but this time I did. That was May 29 2021

then on 7/14 it was 738
then on 7/21 it was 744 these are normal amounts you would expect from someone cashing a few halves

then on 8/26 it was 1741, went up 1000 in a month and they said it was one guy who did a couple big dumps
then today it was 2000 so he dumped another 250 halves.

basically I think that there are 24 half dollars that were not dumps from CRHers. and the odds of a silver in 24 halves is low but I will have to lug the bag and spend some hours going through it

I am thinking to say no

Upvote 0

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank called and said their half bag is full and I can have it if I want. I am torn

the first 720 coins were mine, I normally don't dump at my own bank but this time I did. That was May 29 2021

then on 7/14 it was 738
then on 7/21 it was 744 these are normal amounts you would expect from someone cashing a few halves

then on 8/26 it was 1741, went up 1000 in a month and they said it was one guy who did a couple big dumps
then today it was 2000 so he dumped another 250 halves.

basically I think that there are 24 half dollars that were not dumps from CRHers. and the odds of a silver in 24 halves is low but I will have to lug the bag and spend some hours going through it

I am thinking to say no

You should get it for the following reason. Your are lucky to have a bank that will sell you bags. Around here where I am, the few banks that still have bags won't do that. More and more of them are using coin machines that have the bin in the bottom which catches every thing like the coin star machines. If you don't get this bag, the next time you go to try and get the bag off the machine, they might have a change of policy and you can't get it. That's my 2 cents worth.

Stay cool, stay dry & stay vertical.

HH
Gary

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
It is branch by branch, their 3 other branches won't sell bags. They also understand what I am looking for, and I get my boxes from them.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While there is a good chance there isn't much in the bag, you should probably still pick it up.

The main reasons are as follows

1) The bank actually called you when it was full. If you don't pick it up, they may not call you when the next one fills up.

2) While the other bigger dumps are "likely" another CRHer, it isn't guaranteed to be the case. My best bag ever had 500+ 90% silver coins in it (mostly franklins and walkers) because someone did a collection dump. While unlikely, unless you pick it up, you will never know.

Ultimately, the call is yours to make.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The banker told me that he knows who the CRHer is, and he dumped 1,970 halves, he did that in about 45 days. I have done the same thing at my dump banks which is why I have 12 dump banks with coin counters so i don't get them ticked off
The same bank fills 2-3 bags of quarters every week because they get coins from a laundry mat, the owner of the laundry mat told me they search for silver. I tried 4 of the quarter bags and didn't find a single silver, so I keep an eye on the halves so I know its history and when it will fill up, the same with the dimes.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banker told me that he knows who the CRHer is, and he dumped 1,970 halves, he did that in about 45 days. I have done the same thing at my dump banks which is why I have 12 dump banks with coin counters so i don't get them ticked off
The same bank fills 2-3 bags of quarters every week because they get coins from a laundry mat, the owner of the laundry mat told me they search for silver. I tried 4 of the quarter bags and didn't find a single silver, so I keep an eye on the halves so I know its history and when it will fill up, the same with the dimes.

If the banker told you who dumped the halves and you know it is a CRHer... that does change the equation a little.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
To me it does. knowing the amounts he dumped my calculation show about 30 coins not from him. Myself I don't like to dump $500 at a time at any one bank but I know of people who dump $1,000 to $2,000 at a single bank at a time.

with 30 coins, well I still have an unopened box of $500 halves to go through this after noon.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it does. knowing the amounts he dumped my calculation show about 30 coins not from him. Myself I don't like to dump $500 at a time at any one bank but I know of people who dump $1,000 to $2,000 at a single bank at a time.

with 30 coins, well I still have an unopened box of $500 halves to go through this after noon.

When I was heavily into CRH, I occasionally dumped $3000 to $4000 at a time across all coin denominations, but the bigger amounts were usually at banks that I rarely ever visited and living near a large metro, I have plenty of options. Typically, I limited what I cashed in to what I could carry in from the car in one trip, which was four full canvas bags. As I frequently did dimes and occasionally quarters, I frequently dumped $1000 to $2000 at a time as those bags were $500 or $1000 each. I should also note that I used the self-serve coin machines (most of which have since been removed) so I didn't have to make the tellers lift the heavy bags and wear out my welcome.

As my daily commute had me driving across the metro area, I scattered my dumps across 20+ branches of the same bank without really going out of my way and occasionally used a couple other banks so most branches didn't see me too often. Since they typically only had me show my debit card for proof of an account, it was almost always a pure cash transaction with no records.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I am thinking to say no

Although it is rare for me to say, I say I agree with no. ONly 25 or so to even check. You can go to a strange bank or three and get 25 from them from teller tills. For a lot less work. Nope, I'd say pass .... this time.

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
While there is a good chance there isn't much in the bag, you should probably still pick it up.

1) The bank actually called you when it was full. If you don't pick it up, they may not call you when the next one fills up.

2) While the other bigger dumps are "likely" another CRHer, it isn't guaranteed to be the case. My best bag ever had 500+ 90% silver coins in it (mostly franklins and walkers) because someone did a collection dump. While unlikely, unless you pick it up, you will never know.

G-Man, how long ago did you get that bag with 500+ 90%ers? Amazing score!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G-Man, how long ago did you get that bag with 500+ 90%ers? Amazing score!

I guess my memory was a bit off as it turns out it was only 459 silver halves and only 424 that were 90%. That was black friday in 2008. 2 barbers, 121 Walking Liberty, 175 Franklins, 126 90% JFK, and 35 40% JFK.

I did end up with 551 silver halves that day as I had done a bank run near my parents house picking up halves as I went instead of Christmas shopping. The last bank of the day near closing time was the big hit.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Gman is spot on. The bank called you. Tellers (and banks) can either be your best ally, or your worst nightmare. You want the former.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The tellers know the guy doing the dumps, he dumped the last 4 bags I got and I found 1 Silver 1964 in those 4 bags. You don't fill a half bag 4 times in as many months unless you are a hunter. Nick the teller told me it was the same guy, so he would be unlikely to dump silver.

Myself I try not to dump $500 at any one bank more than every other week. When I in full hunt mode I will fill a banks half bag every month.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread