Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF their not of great value,why not :) I clean my run of the mill silver w/baking soda & water
140.JPG
139.JPG

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the coin. I hose off clad on a screen, tumble and then spend it. Silver and old copper I soak in detergent water and then gently wipe off the soil, then blot on olive oil.

Never found a gold coin so I'll likely do as I do for silver.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Admission: I actually tumble a lot of the coins I dig. This one was in terrible shape until I tumbled it for several hours. If you are keeping them, it really doesn't matter IMO. :skullflag:

Attachments

• coins 009.jpg
    coins 009.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 51
  • coins 007.jpg
    coins 007.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
A

Allen Jackson

Apr 21, 2019
Bristol, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the coin. I hose off clad on a screen, tumble and then spend it. Silver and old copper I soak in detergent water and then gently wipe off the soil, then blot on olive oil.

Never found a gold coin so I'll likely do as I do for silve

OP
OP
A

Allen Jackson

Apr 21, 2019
Bristol, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I plan on doing Im also trying ti create a 2022 sped sheet to keep a running total of every coin I dig. Im not the smartest computer guy so Im always looking for a simple outcome. I cant wait to see just how much $$$ I find in 2022 and Good LUCK TO YOU!!!!

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
For me it is easier to change an existing spreadsheet than to create a new one from scratch. I use the "Contact List" template from Vertex42. (Free) Change the heading names and delete or add rows as needed. You can sort each column from the top.
Just g oogle vertex42 excelTemplates/contact-list
Or use his search box in the upper right corner

There are other ones that will track inventory and values
I have used his templates for many years!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say you are not planning on selling them at this point in time. That response would indicate that at some further point in time you may decide to, if so they will still be cleaned and it will hurt the value. I would say, modern clad, clean away but anything with numismatic value then don't do it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say, modern clad, clean away but anything with numismatic value then don't do it.

I wouldn't think twice about cleaning silver Rosies, Mercs or Washington quarters. Very few of them have any numismatic value because the mintages were just too high.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

Never found a gold coin so I'll likely do as I do for silver.
"Depends on the coin. I hose off clad on a screen, tumble and then spend it."

So, you carry coins in bags or something, and give a bunch to a store clerk? I had a bit of trouble once using a blackened clad dime at a breakfast, and they knew me there. Seriously to everyone...explain spending found coins with all the steps in-between. Coinstar isn't fair, but they also want clean coins. Just saying, "I spend coins found" in a discussion about tumbling found coins or not, requires more of an answer than I just spend them.

I literally have over a hundred pounds of cleaned, clad coins from 10 years of finding them. Even in this so-called coin shortage, the retailers balk at bulk bags of coins to may hand them(uncounted) for $10-$50-$100 purchases. I asked many who have the signs out about coins being short with them.

No matter though, I say clean your finds. They stack up a lot in weight over years.

Last edited:

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research them before cleaning, make sure they aren't rare. Copper alloys and copper nickel alloys don't clean up very well and can be destroyed if your not careful.
I usually rinse off the oldies and put them away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread