CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a good/bad day. I stopped at a park that occasionally produces a mercury dime. I start detecting and find two survey stakes about 40 ft apart. They high tone on me and have high VDI numbers. First one is 35 second is 32/33. I keep moving on and 100 ft further get another high tone and a bouncy 33 VDI. I cut a plug and there’s a rock. I’m not careful thinking it’s another survey stake so I fricken nick the edge of a seated 1/2. EB994893-1A31-4383-85B6-12CFF9889010.jpeg 8CA02C0B-B6FD-4781-870E-D2AE752711F5.jpeg

Upvote 47

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is still a beautiful coin in otherwise nice condition. Don't see Seated halfs often here. Congrats!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Anyone who says they haven’t done this is either digging garbage or lying. I did it three times in one day this summer and I’m still at a loss for how I wasn’t learning my lesson (I didn’t actually see the nicks on two of them in the field). I would guess the lesson for us all is to dig every target like it is something you want to keep, even if you have reason to believe it’s not...

Congrats on a great coin and HH.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its only natural to kick yourself in the butt every time you look at that otherwise great find. IMO, it is a teaching moment and you have already started to use it that way by posting your experience here. I say "thank you" for the reminder to dig gently. And congrats on a great coin. Maybe there are more there!

Davidson

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a sickening attack on a pregnant and defenceless woman.
He described the Foreign Office's decision as sickening and cynical.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It happens, don't beat yourself up. Concentrate on the fact that you found a BEAUTIFUL coin, perhaps one of the US's finest designs in HD size. Besides, aren't we all a little nicked up in end?

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It happens. Still an awesome find!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer coin, congrats! :notworthy:

Don't worry about oops, we have all done it at least once! :occasion14:

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a coin that the majority of us will probably never have to worry about scratching, because most of us aren't lucky enough to get a coil over one. :thumbsup: Nice find.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woulda been safer left in the ground. It’s a good lesson to dig carefully. The best finds you’ll ever make have the highest likelihood of being improperly recovered—precisely because they don’t sound like 99.9% of the stuff you normally dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread