Signal not strong after plug is popped. Common?

Critik

Apr 25, 2017
Charlotte, Nc
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro/Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/Fisher 1225x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just want to know from users here do you experience this? Iā€™ll explain a situation..

So you sweeping you center in on a target you dig it and you have the plug flipped over on the ground you sweep over it. And you can not hear the target So you flip the plug back over and the target is there again.

I feel like I notice this with very shallow coins. Or nickels. But in you experience. Why does this occur and when does it occur if it does for you? Also what machine do you use.

Upvote 1

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
So I just want to know from users here do you experience this? Iā€™ll explain a situation..

So you sweeping you center in on a target you dig it and you have the plug flipped over on the ground you sweep over it. And you can not hear the target So you flip the plug back over and the target is there again.

I feel like I notice this with very shallow coins. Or nickels. But in you experience. Why does this occur and when does it occur if it does for you? Also what machine do you use.
the coin is at the top of the plug.

When you flip it over its farthest from the detector coin

When you reinstall it into the hole/ground, the coin is again at the top of the plug, and closest to your detector, so now you can detect it again?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Happens many times while detecting.
"Air" is the issue with many detectors.
Minelabs don't like air it seems.
Even the Deus doesn't in some cases.

So there a nice signal, cut plug/ dig with shovel. target is in the loose dirt or just on the side wall of the hole.
Swing the coil over plug/dirt that has been extracted-nothing
Over the open hole-nothing
That's when a little more digging or when the pinpointer comes into play.

It might have to do with disturbing of the soils around the item, like a coin that has been there for 50-200 years.
It has a "Halo" effect around the coin/object where the ground has taken on some the metal properties.
Once the soils are disturbed-it's gone.
Fluffy soils have an effect on depth of detection also as air is in the soil.
Perfect example of this is a freshly ploughed/disced field vs a winter's compaction of the same soils.
There's certain soils can drop 6+ inches with compaction.
I've detected clay soils where there's a powdery soil of 6-8" before the harder soil.
One soaker of rain and now there's an 1-2" of slick mud.

It's just as ManinTheWall stated it could be on the top of the plug also.
But it's not your detecting skills it's the retrieval part that tricks many folks.
So I hope this sort of explains (long drawn out) what I have found over the years.

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
Happens many times while detecting.
"Air" is the issue with many detectors.
Minelabs don't like air it seems.
Even the Deus doesn't in some cases.

So there a nice signal, cut plug/ dig with shovel. target is in the loose dirt or just on the side wall of the hole.
Swing the coil over plug/dirt that has been extracted-nothing
Over the open hole-nothing
That's when a little more digging or when the pinpointer comes into play.

It might have to do with disturbing of the soils around the item, like a coin that has been there for 50-200 years.
It has a "Halo" effect around the coin/object where the ground has taken on some the metal properties.
Once the soils are disturbed-it's gone.
Fluffy soils have an effect on depth of detection also as air is in the soil.
Perfect example of this is a freshly ploughed/disced field vs a winter's compaction of he same soils.
There's certain soils can drop 6+ inches with compaction.
I've detected clay soils where there's a powdery soil of 6-8" before the harder soil.
One soaker of rain and now there's an 1-2" of slick mud.

It's just as ManinTheWall stated it could be on the top of the plug also.
But it's not your detecting skills it's the retrieval part that tricks many folks.
So I hope this sort of explains (long drawn out) what I have found over the years.
I have the 3030 and the Deus 2. I see you have the E-trac. Is the e-trac better than the 3030?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the 3030 and the Deus 2. I see you have the E-trac. Is the e-trac better than the 3030?
The Explorer was first, then the SE version, then the e-trac, then the 3030

If I was to decide I would say the SE for silvers dug the most with that detector ( location is a thought)
(Know of one buddy that was digging 250-400 silvers a year with his)
The e-trac was better in separation in the iron patch and for depth
But due to location/sites the silver count declined dramatically.
(Homestead/cellar hole vs parks)

The 3030 honestly is a better machine yet for separation and depth.
With the bigger coil it was the deepest hitting machine when tested in a test garden for depths by the club owner in England.
I could of very well had the 3030 come without the geotracking BS as I never used the program or use the grey matter trying figure it all out. (lack of tech skills) in all honesty.

There's a video claiming greater depth now with the Deus ll (Impressive)

I still hold strong to the belief that the more physical comfort one has while detecting = recoveries.
I found that the 3030 is a slug for swinging if the targets are far and in between.
Lots of targets no problem-this where the comfort level starts to come into the equation.
3030 will wear on the arm and the back swinging for endless hours and only digging a bit.
Many times I'd just dug an iron target just to stop swinging.
The knife in the back feeling isn't nice when the weight of the machine has ground the body down slowly to the pain point.

Now the deus will be a feather in comparison, comfort = more concentration on swing speed/level coil to ground/over lapping swings.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ace 350.

Pinpoint with detector. Mark the X by finger drag mark or an object already there.
I don't like golf but a wooden golf tee would work to mark the sweet spot....

For suspected shallow targets a quick check with the handheld pinpointer confirms it before even plugging.

A "lost" signal can be just like you /others mentioned and be in the surface of the plug. A tennis shoe eyelet on the surface or barely under it and you create a flap plug , you just buried the object multiple times deeper than when detected at first.

The mentioned "halo" too can come into effect sometimes. A tiny "cloud" of rust dust is one case.

Hand held pinpointer solves most mysteries when something disappears.
A #7 sized individual piece of lead shot can be slippery and elusive if the recovery is not made in a delicate manner. This I know. l.o.l.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Keep in mind the detector sees the surface area of a target. A coin on edge is seen less, and may pinpoint stronger to the side of it (received signal deflection).

Also the aforementioned halo effect in that metals leach some oxidation that increases detectability to a degree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread