Signs of Fall

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a few pics yesterday. Seeing quite a few Praying Mantis. DSC08130.JPG

The poison ivy is one of the first to turn. Lots of red usually. DSC08133.JPG DSC08134.JPG

I tried to get a pic of this bird but he was pretty far away. I think it's a Phoebe.
You can tell because they always flick their tails up and down. DSC08138.JPG

My 2 acres of prairie grass is rockin'. This is what most of IL looked like 150 yrs. ago. What are cornfields now were an ocean of 8' tall prairie grass back then. John Deere invented the mold-board (or mo-board) plow and the prairie disappeared. My 100yd. target range needs some pruning before I can shoot. Gary
DSC08131.JPG

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice photos! Here in Georgetown, part of and surrounded by swampy ground, the City regularly drives around with a spraying truck, to kill mosquitoes. It seems to work on everything but mosquitoes and native cockroaches. We never see mantids in town. Prairie looks great! Need a couple of Bison, and gophers!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was mowing last weekend and saw a mantis high tailing it to get out of the way of the mower. I paused so it could get clear and away from being slashed to bits.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't seen a praying mantis in years. Sometimes I get to see an egg case. Yup that is a phoebe. Drove through Iowa once. Saw a cellar hole being dug. Could see where the top soil was 4-5 feet thick. Prairie grass and buffalo poop.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos, thanks for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting