Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello folks! It's been a long while since I've posted. Been into thrifting vintage items to re-sell. Found this spoon....does anyone knkw if its silver or silver plated?! It says "Sterling" then AMC and another letter i cant see. On the bowl of the spoon it says Clear Lake which is a poplar summer spot for tourists.

thanks!!
-Mvgirl
20220523_184433.jpg

Attachments

• 20220523_182738.jpg
    20220523_182738.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
Upvote 14

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Sterling silver to me.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Engraving on the bowl not showing another colour metal is promising. Congratulations MV
Great thanks! That's what I was thinking too...often plated will have rainbow colors on it. When it says sterling that means silver. But was just concerned that I couldn't make out the bottom marks...in case those were indicating it was plated. But I think it's all good.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen sterling used on anything that was plated, but, I guess it's possible. There are all kinds of fakes out there.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure that's sterling silver. It's an old souvenir spoon beautifully made unlike the plated later ones. They're not nearly as collectible as in the past, but some collectors are still out there going after the vintage solid silver and enamel ones. I just searched "Sterling Canada Souvenir Spoon" on ebay and it seems many single spoons of that description sell for more than what the spot silver price would be in value. I so enjoy hunting antique shops, flea markets and places that have old things for sale. It can be at times unbelievable what ends up in those places and I've made some pretty healthy returns on some the things I've found and purchased cheap over the years.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure that's sterling silver. It's an old souvenir spoon beautifully made unlike the plated later ones. They're not nearly as collectible as in the past, but some collectors are still out there going after the vintage solid silver and enamel ones. I just searched "Sterling Canada Souvenir Spoon" on ebay and it seems many single spoons of that description sell for more than what the spot silver price would be in value. I so enjoy hunting antique shops, flea markets and places that have old things for sale. It can be at times unbelievable what ends up in those places and I've made some pretty healthy returns on some the things I've found and purchased cheap over the years.
Great thanks for the info! I'll definitely try to get more then face value if I decide to sell. I agree it's so thrilling to find old things and make a profit! Even if the return isn't too much, it's still fun to research and find out the info and history of an item. Thanks and have a good day! Happy hunting

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks! It's been a long while since I've posted. Been into thrifting vintage items to re-sell. Found this spoon....does anyone knkw if its silver or silver plated?! It says "Sterling" then AMC and another letter i cant see. On the bowl of the spoon it says Clear Lake which is a poplar summer spot for tourists.

thanks!!
-Mvgirl
View attachment 2028411
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add I'm pretty sure the mark below Sterling is BMCo and not AMC. It's a maker's mark found on quite a few souvenir spoons for Canada. I'm really uncertain who that mark belongs to, but they seem to have produce a variety of souvenir spoons.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what would be a amount value of this spoon ?

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

thanks!!
-Mvgirl
View attachment 2028411
good find, I believe the stamp identifying it as sterling silver

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might add I'm pretty sure the mark below Sterling is BMCo and not AMC. It's a maker's mark found on quite a few souvenir spoons for Canada. I'm really uncertain who that mark belongs to, but they seem to have produce a variety of souvenir spoons.
Really? OK thanks for that bit of information

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what would be a amount value of this spoon ?
About $4.50 right now...it's a pretty light spoon. But silver can go up and it doesn't go bad.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About $4.50 right now...it's a pretty light spoon. But silver can go up and it doesn't go bad.
Mv Thank you very much !!1
So a SS spoon is worth that much WOW

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver souvenir spoons are always a favourite for collectors. I have no doubt that it’s sterling silver. Lots of silver items with crests and coats of arms were further embellished by enamelling to give the true colours of the emblems.

Tamrock is correct that the mark is ‘BMCo’ and it’s for the Breadner Manufacturing Company of Hull, Quebec, Canada. They were founded in 1903 and used the mark below until 1930 when they became the Breadner Company Ltd (and carried on making that particular spoon design but not with the BMCo mark):

BMCo.jpg

In terms of value, vintage ones do rather better than melt value and might fetch around $10-15 in nice condition, also depending on size/weight. Antique ones up to maybe double that. Yours is either antique or more likely bordering on becoming an antique (conventionally defined as more than 100 years old).

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mv Thank you very much !!1
So a SS spoon is worth that much WOW
If you have a scale, weigh your spoon then go online and find a silver value calculator. Be very careful because 99% of the silverware you see is silver plated, so not worth anything in silver value. If you can, bring your phone to look up a spoon or something that you think is silver...type in the markings you see and see if the information tells you if it's plated or not.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver souvenir spoons are always a favourite for collectors. I have no doubt that it’s sterling silver. Lots of silver items with crests and coats of arms were further embellished by enamelling to give the true colours of the emblems.

Tamrock is correct that the mark is ‘BMCo’ and it’s for the Breadner Manufacturing Company of Hull, Quebec, Canada. They were founded in 1903 and used the mark below until 1930 when they became the Breadner Company Ltd (and carried on making that particular spoon design but not with the BMCo mark):

View attachment 2028959

In terms of value, vintage ones do rather better than melt value and might fetch around $10-15 in nice condition, also depending on size/weight. Antique ones up to maybe double that. Yours is either antique or more likely bordering on becoming an antique (conventionally defined as more than 100 years old).
Wow thanks so much for this information! I really enjoy knowing the facts about my finds, especially their age. Helps me decide how to price and what to do with it. It's a very light weight spoon, but I'm hoping collectors will still be interested in it, since I am not a spoon collector I will try to sell it.

Happy hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread