Silver, BIG gold, Little gold with ice, then more BIG gold! What a start!

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if they had names, I'd try to return them because I lost my class ring freshman year college and months later someone returned it to me and I was forever grateful. I worked so hard to earn money to buy it

that said - you found them, your choice and ya'll killed that hunt !

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the kind of day I want to have. Great work thats incredible. Beautiful big gold.!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the rings are yours now. No issues. I was at a park today and a young lady said she lost her gold bracelet there yesterday. I asked her where she had been and she said all around the entire park, and in the "dog park" area. I told her I'd let her know if I found it. I actually never bothered intentionally looking because she stated she had been mainly on the sidewalks and if it was lost on a sidewalk, it would have been picked up in minutes.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fat pile of gold, congratulations on a great hunt with the boy! I've tried to return a class ring found several years ago, but Facecrook wanted me to pay a dollar to message the guy (lol heck no), and contacting others in his network yielded no fruits, so in a box it still sits until I feel like wasting more of my time again. The act of finding a lost item lacking immediate and obvious marks of ownership (i.e. adhering to the legal standard) does not automatically confer the obligatory burden of investing one's own valuable and finite time and money into the profitless sleuth-quest to return the item, though certain personality types may certainly glean much satisfaction from the process... Certain types, but not me. If you step in a pile of crap deposited on the sidewalk by someone's dog and then abandoned by the owner, is it now somehow your responsibility to bag and dispose of it, or track-down the owner and plop the pile in his hand? Doubt it. :laughing7:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Triple gold rings is like hitting a grand slam.
Congrats

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gold i dont do returns either.i get too tired after bending down and digging up 500 pull tabs to find 1 ring dont think so.

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, so my wife has no interest in the hobby other than to support me (and steal my jewelry lol). That being said, she knows the names Skippy and Tabman. Most of the time it's oh yeah the ring guy or oh yeah the silver coin guy. That's how much I wait like a vulture for these fun posts. Then I immediately share them with her. And this post is no exception. I think it's amazing the scores you got. But even more that time you spent with your son. I wish I had that kind of bonding with my dad. And my son is only 2. Every now and then he comes to the park and steals my pin pointer to go find his own stuff haha. Soon though when he will comprehend the hobby. Already he points to daddy at pro and says to mommy "treasure". He then says, "you yellow detector." (He calls himself you). He is obsessed with the color yellow and thinks my ace 350 that sits there is his. Haha soon though. In the mean time I will wait impatiently for more posts from you. Always enjoy your stories! Congrats again

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on all the clad, silver and GOLD! :notworthy:

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try my best to return the rings, there are sites online for locating lost class rings that don't cost anything. It could have been you or a family member that lost those rings. The people that lost those rings might have no access or knowledge of metal detectors and a lot of times rings are stolen by punks and then thrown wherever to get rid of them because they are to scared to try to sell them. This is just my opinion and if its all about making money while metal detecting you are in it for the wrong reasons, I guess I couldn't live with myself without at least trying to return them. I returned a class ring that was lost for 17 years and the priceless look on the guys face was way worth more than 500 dollars, Its called being a decent human being and doing whats right. Like I said its just my opinion and take it how you like but to me metal detecting is a hobby not a job!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My oldest flatly said, "I thought we came out here to have fun..."

Hit me like a ton of bricks. I pulled in the lines, asked them what they wanted to do, and we parked the boat, and threw rocks in the water for the next hour and a half. Was a big lesson to me in life. "We're here to have fun.".. :)
Exactly, thanks for the post

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I hunt entirely on playgrounds and parks. They are "gold mines"! Unfortunately though, many of our local elementary schools have started putting fences with locked gates around the playgrounds, so I don't have alot of access any more. :angry9: It really upsets me to drive 35 miles to an old hunting ground just to find it locked up! Glad you found a good place to hunt and had time with your son. Finding Gold will have him addicted for life!

HH,
Moon

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice use of creative words! I enjoyed reading your post. :)

I figure if someone really thinks I'm making the wrong decision, and they'd like to right the wrong, they're welcome to pay me the scrap amount and look for the owners, themselves. And when they say, "no way, I'm not giving up $500 to find the owners," I can remind them, that's what they're expecting me to do, for something legally mine. And if they really want to send me $500, I'm happy to send them the rings.

Cheers!

Skippy

Congrats on a great day of detecting with your son. I have always felt like the right thing to do would be to search for the owner of the ring if there is any way of identifying them. Now that you put it this way I have a new perspective on that. It will be interesting to see if any of the hard core "ring returners" will take you up on your offer and buy them from you so they can make the return.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Oh, by the way.....My avatar photo is a coin I found under a tire swing on an elementary school playground. My knees got so weak I had to sit down immediately! I thought it was a large washer at first! I love my hobby! :laughing7:

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right about having a son old enough to share your interests, you made some nice finds, but the real treasure is your son. Congrats to you both

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
" My oldest flatly said, "I thought we came out here to have fun..."

Hit me like a ton of bricks. I pulled in the lines, asked them what they wanted to do, and we parked the boat, and threw rocks in the water for the next hour and a half. Was a big lesson to me in life. "We're here to have fun.".. :)

That's a life moment for sure, easily lost on many.

Nice rings, and stories. I'm in the camp if you find it, it's yours to do with as you please, including returning it to the owner, or sending it to the refinery.

I've dug a fair amount of silver and gold rings over the years, but haven't dug a class ring yet.

HH,
Cal

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet. Love those class rings and any gold that shows up.
Whoever told you elementary schools don't have treasure knows nothing. Any place is a potential treasure spot.

I've found 5 class rings so far and so far haven't been able to return a single one. The one guy I did track down refused to take it back. Must be some seriously bad memories associated with it . He never told me the actual reason.

Big congrats on a nice hunt. Triple gold doesn't happen very often. I've hit double gold only two times in my life so you definitely had a great day.

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
You had a great day detecting & with your son . Save that pic , it'll be worth a million bucks. His smile tells it all.

I'm not gonna get into the other tit for tat.. everyone is entitled to their own opinion on returning or not ..Congrats on a great day of dirt digging !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread