Silver, Copper, Civil War and TWO helpings of GOLD!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Been busy here in Louisiana, with not a whole lot of time for digging, but I did get out for four days recently and found some pretty incredible things--including some firsts for me in 30 years of digging! If you prefer the video, here it is. Otherwise read on!

On day 1 we dug at an old site here where I've dug many good items in the past, including a whole coat of Louisiana pelican buttons, numerous Seated and Spanish silver coins, a civil war era musket and pieces of a French flintlock pistol from the early 1800s--not to mention a cannonball! The field had just been plowed and turned over, so hopes were high! It's always a weird game when iron-infested fields are plowed up. Seems like it stirs up the iron and the signals are like a nest of bees stirred up. So much interference that it's hard for a detector to "see through it." At any rate, the finds didn't all require a detector to find! Walked right up on a New York coat button as soon as I got there! Laying right on top of the ground!

IMG_5467.jpeg

After picking through the iron for a while, I got a high tone hiding in the iron chatter and pulled out a clod of hard dirt that had a sweet silver rim showing:

IMG_5346.jpeg

Turned out to be a good bit later of a coin than I'd thought--an 1887 Seated Dime:

IMG_2943.JPG IMG_2944.JPG

After that find, I took less than ten steps and got a scratchy, deep signal in between the nails. I dug down about a foot and saw a round disc that was the diameter of a quarter. Thinking it would be a flat button I picked it up and wiped it off. It really looked like a coin. Swiping it under the detector, it read high! Was this a two cent piece?? Or was it... a HALF CENT??

IMG_5352.jpeg

Turning the coin at an angle to the sunlight I could barely see a date--1808 or 1809!!!! Now let me just say that I've had friends that have dug half cents but I've never swung my coil over one. They weren't at all common in the 18th century "Western Frontier" of Appalachia where I grew up, and they weren't common finds in Kentucky and Indiana where I did most of my swinging before moving down here to Louisiana. Well, in Louisiana we seldom find large coppers of any sort, averaging only 1-2 per year compared to 30-50 old silver coins. The coin is indeed an 1809 classic head half cent. My first ever!

IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2949.JPG

The finds continued that day with several cartridge box finials (one made of lead, one of brass), a mashed minieball, and several shield nickels. Was definitely a sweeet hunt!

63943487441__AACE6DB6-6B88-4E1E-A4A7-DA53D3BEF5E4.jpeg IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2941.JPG

Well the next day we decided to eyeball in a site that was too "young" and too trashy to dig. Y'all know the sites...1940s and later, full of car parts, aluminum ice cube trays, caps from "Fleecy White" bottles... These sites DO often have a history in Louisiana as quarters, so they often hide older finds--but it's just not economical for us to spend our time out in the heat wearing ourselves out digging up the can slaw and trash. Far better to simply walk and eyeball and cover a lot of ground. Besides, the plow will eventually bring most of it up. In spots where great finds are made, of course, we still dig and just deal with it (I dug the site where I recovered the 1870s pistol this year, and also got a bullet mold and a great old railroad lock, for example). At any rate, we went eyeballing and spent the whole day at it, at multiple sites and found a TON of stuff: marbles, old bottles, glass stoppers, buttons, china doll parts, coins and tokens, and more. The bottles that survive are usually small ones. I was heartbroken that the straight-sided coke didn't survive. Would love to have had one in my collection!

63736929891__00754417-5B93-45B3-957B-714BEB49D848.jpeg 63737007005__2D60626D-9BBD-4718-9173-83647550D00D.jpeg 63737129592__590FE3F0-87AF-45ED-89DC-83F095561B78.jpeg

IMG_5091.jpeg IMG_5110.jpeg IMG_5337.jpeg
IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_5092.jpeg

IMG_2930.JPG IMG_2932.JPG

Day 3 we came back to the first site and they'd plowed it again!! :BangHead: It was all large, ankle-breaking chunks! So we decided to spend our day at our colonial tavern site. The tavern site hadn't been plowed or changed at all since we had been there last, but it's never a bad plan to spend a day at a site like this. This is the site that has given me the Spanish colonial cap badge, George Washington Inaugural button, one of the two, rare Planter's Bank tokens (all of which made the banner here), and probably 50 of our 100 Spanish Silvers we've recovered in the past year here--not to mention over 60 military buttons going back to colonial occupation and probably 40 early seated and capped bust coins. ;)

As we suspected, targets were thin, but we got some lead pieces, small brass, one nickel, and I dug a weird piece made of gold-plated brass with a tiny silver flower attached to it:

IMG_2954.JPG

Then as it got late in the day I heard a faint beep and saw in the side wall of the cane row the unmistakable glint of gold! Getting down on the level with it I could tell that it was engraved!

IMG_5544.jpeg

No clue what this piece is, but I like it! I heated and unbent it at home. Wonder if it's a suspender clip? Strange thing is that it's engraved on both sides (FYI Shangalang pulled a colonial era engraved silver piece of jewelry out of this tavern site back in 2013!):

IMG_2952.JPG IMG_2953.JPG

On Day 4 I went in a different direction up to a great site that gave Shangalang his Texas Republic Navy button, me my "cast c" cavalry button, a half an eagle breastplate and handfulls of coins and civil war relics. The site had been turned but the weather has been so rainy and nasty here that our window before planting was only one day. :crybaby2:
So I decided to get in there and get as much out of the ground as I could before we had to wait until October. As usual, the minieballs started coming up:

64203342556__442F4113-1019-4AA0-9DB3-2905C55880C0.jpeg IMG_5590.jpeg

also got a few carved bullets, flat buttons, and lots of melted lead. One random Buffalo nickel. Pistol bullet, spur piece...

64229299631__8D9E88ED-3E64-4E06-A8FC-F9A3B17A3564.jpeg IMG_2957.JPG 64229695617__97287090-67A9-4400-B9D2-6CF6F6D95BC4.jpeg

Also got this weird mystery item. Brass that was once gold gilded:

IMG_2959.JPG

Then I got a signal that read a solid 19 on the F75. That's a foil number, but the ground is really bad in this site (minieballs were reading in the 20s so...). When I flopped it out I was absolutely STUNNED. It was GOLD!!

IMG_5570.jpeg IMG_5571.jpeg IMG_5573.jpeg

At that point I had idea what it was. It was obviously high karat gold, so I carefully bent it back into shape in the field. The item was covered with strange symbols that made me think at first it was some sort of fraternal item. What particularly got me was the "MO" on it. Obviously that wasn't a word.

64218499176__0D0EDBE9-3947-42AD-AA4D-CFF52430511F.jpeg 64218548983__3ABFC912-4316-48DB-916A-DB0CF11DDCCE.jpeg

Well, after I could see it more clearly it dawned on me that the letters were Old English Gothic Black Letter:

IMG_5581.jpeg

And once I identified each letter, plain as day, it said "IN * ME MO RY * OF"

Armed with that knowledge, I started searching and as it turns out this is a piece of mourning jewelry (a brooch) dating between 1820 and 1840 most likely. I was able to find a VERY similar non-dug example which can be seen below. A lock of the deceased's hair wouldve been cleaned and braided, and placed under a crystal or faceted piece of glass in the brooch. The one I dug is only the front, missing the border, the crystal, and the pin back. (Although you can tell where they were braised on.) It'd be a dream to recover the back of this, which was probably a flat piece of gold with the pin braised on. Reason why I want the back is that it was likely engraved with a name and dates.

IMG_2961.JPG IMG_5586.jpeg

Mourning jewelry was often worn long after the mourner stopped wearing their black clothing--often the mourners wore this type of jewelry their entire life. So this was a very special piece, which had a great deal of care in its construction (the washing and careful braiding of the deceased's hair; the engraving of the back). Although some might find this practice somewhat creepy, I think it's rather beautiful--to carry a piece of the person you loved with you to remember them by. So I'm just absolutely thrilled with this find. Have never seen one posted here on TreasureNet before--likely because these were such special pieces they were seldom lost or tossed. But I'm just thrilled. Now that we have cleaned out a lot of our sites and are digging iffy, jumpy, and scratchy signals I'm hoping that the elusive gold coin is finally in the forecast for me. Let's hope that 2021 continues to be a Gold year!

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Last edited:
Upvote 48
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your digging days off BB, it's hard to get time in life sometimes to do any it seems often.
But once again you really managed to put together a very interesting post up of finds and information.
Well done on the gold/silver finds, and the lonely LC-wish my ratio was that way-trade ya....

Ya one has to be quick on the keyboard, or do a copy/paste of a post before the time-out on the forum platform. :laughing7:
Not sure if this is the date of the version 4.2.2(SEO by vBSEO Β©2011, Crawlability, Inc.)

haha I’m not in any hurry to trade our silver vs copper ratio. Yeah it’s ridiculous that the forum times out. And only 40 images. Ahh well, I managed to get it up there with only one negative comment, so that’s better than usual :laughing9:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ... what a great haul !
Thanks for taking the time to tell us the story and organize all the finds !

TY my friend! It does take a while to clean, organize, ID, photograph and post :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great post and pics of your finds BB, I love the backstory you provide behind the relics as well. :thumbsup:
I love the mourning piece of jewelry you found, kudos to you for the research you did to discover what it use to be.

It's a shame the early Coca-Cola bottle didn't survive, but I would be absolutely thrilled to have found this beauty any day! :notworthy:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Hello Dave! I’m never content unless I can ID something, and I try to only post on What Is It when I’m absolutely stumped. Yeah I was super pleased with that little bottle. Love the star design! It’s probably 1880-1910 era.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and great post!! How do you get that many pics in your posts- combine/size software?

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds and a great post chock full of interesting information.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great post of finds. I really enjoyed he story and glad you took the time to tell it. Lucky you on having free time to get out. Yeah the time out stinks when doing multiple pictures and post. It does it to me also. What I do is after uploading a pic or writing and while i am gathering the stuff to post I keep clicking on the open post even if it is just a letter to delete later that way it will not time out on you. It is frustrating to have to go back after all the hard work of making a most excellent post of amazing finds! lol ( dang it timed out on me).
Good seeing ya
HH

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the bottle with the star on it? Looks cool as hell!

Great finds!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Dave! I’m never content unless I can ID something, and I try to only post on What Is It when I’m absolutely stumped. Yeah I was super pleased with that little bottle. Love the star design! It’s probably 1880-1910 era.
I feel the same way as you about my finds too BB. :thumbsup:
The best way to learn about your finds is through research, I'll post in the 'What is it' forum only when I can't find anything online.
When I was a kid my Dad would say, "go look it up in the Encyclopedia Britannica"... but I always hoped he'd just tell me, because I was too lazy to look it up. :laughing7:

Best of luck to you Sir,
Dave

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really enjoyed your video! Very inspirational!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and great post!! How do you get that many pics in your posts- combine/size software?

perseverance. The website likes to log me out while I’m writing the post but I normally write the post first then go back and edit and add photos (the forum allows up to 40 per post but if there are more, I spill it over into the first reply by just replying to my own post with one word then going back and editing it all later).

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had amazing hunts and finds again! I love your spelling style, it's like to be in the field too. Your in situ pics make the post perfect.
Never seen such a brooch and it seems a bit weird, but on the other hand it's no difference to keeping the ashes on the mantleshelf... Love the bottles and marbles too, glass always rounds the day! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of great finds. I actually like the bottles the most.
The gold engraved piece might be a lid to a snuff box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread