🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Silver cross pendant with two crowns and letter "S" hallmark?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too tired to post a decent picture, but today I found a silver cross (in a circle) pendant with a hallmark that has two crowns side by side and the letter "S" next to the crowns. I know that a crown is a Sheffield hallmark, but can't find any info regarding a two crown hallmark. I do believe that it was manufactured recently and it is not vintage or antique. Any help would be appreciated.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tim.

The crown can be a Sheffield hallmark, but only if it's the right type of crown, is accompanied by a lion passant (to denote 'sterling'), plus a date letter and a sponsor's mark at minimum. In some years, additional symbols were required. British hallmarks are heavily regulated with respect to format and everything needs to be of the correct styling, including the font used for the date letter and the cartouche shapes for the icons... both of which vary with each hallmark cycle.

This would be Sheffield for 1960 for example (sponsor mark not shown):

Sheffield.jpg

What you're describing doesn't sound like a hallmark for Sheffield, or anywhere else in Britain.

If I could see a picture of the marks, I could comment further and perhaps say what they actually might be.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, here's the best pics I can take with my friend's iPad. Still looks like two crowns and the letter "S" to me. The other side has a name or numbers stamped on it, but I can't read it. Doesn't look like .925, though.

Attachments

• IMG_7998.jpeg
    IMG_7998.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8012.jpg
    IMG_8012.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8029.jpg
    IMG_8029.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. That helps enormously. The marks have nothing whatsoever to do with Sheffield.

They look to be Swedish hallmarks. I think you’ll find there are actually three crowns, arranged ‘two above one’ (the National Control Mark used by Sweden) but with the bottom crown partly lost by being stamped on the curvature of the loop.

The ‘S in hexagon’ mark denotes a minimum silver standard of .800 fine but also covers higher standards such as .830 and .925 (sterling). I can’t read the letters/numbers on the other side either, but perhaps "830S" (?) to indicate .830 silver.

Date-wise, I couldn’t say, except that these are 20th Century marks or later, and not from the early 20th Century.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I never would have figured that one out. It rang up as 86 on my AT Pro, so I was pretty sure it had some silver content. Now I can put it in my dug silver jewelry collection. Thanks again!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions