Silver cut off dates? When and what coins?

CaptainMorgan

Mar 4, 2007
Western Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Titan 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last US silver coins for circulation was with the 1964 mintage. Of course they still make proof sets in 90% silver with the San Francisco mint mark. I don't have my Red Book with me here so I can't give you specifics on actual grams of silver in each coin but will follow the post and if no one posts that I'll get you the info tonight.
I've heard of some error coins punched out in silver with planchets that were meant for the proof sets but those are one in a million if that.

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
90% silvers last year was 1964, dimes, quarters, and half dollars. Silver clad coins, 40% silver, were issued from 1965-1970, half dollars only. This is for circulating coins only.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I believe and of the silver coins after the above mentioned dates would have the "S" mint mark and were struck only as Proofs and available originally only in Silver and Silver Premier Proof sets.

A regular "S" mint proof quarter for example would still show the copper sandwiched in the middle whereas a Silver Proof coin would not.

CaptainMorgan

Mar 4, 2007
Western Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Titan 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a sneaky suspicion that if that 92-D dime is silver then it was struck on a silver planchet by mistake and should be kept as it would have to be one in a million.
The only non silver coins not from the San Fran mint after 64 that I can think of is the American Eagles bullion coins.

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptainMorgan said:
I've heard of some error coins punched out in silver with planchets that were meant for the proof sets but those are one in a million if that.
Liike the 1977-D quarter?

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Nickels were also 35% silver from 1942-1945(I think those are the right years ??).

When did canada quit putting silver in their coins ??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread