JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to Merced fair grounds today with my mother to metal detect. She used her AT Pro and I had my Dues XP to get some practice. I found a bunch of pennies, dimes, and a few quarters along with some random junk. My mother would find signals with the AT Pro and mark them for me to dig I didn't mind because I went over those marked spots with the Dues to get an idea of what good stuff sounds like and looks like on the Dues XP. So I was about to dig one of the spots and was telling my mother there is no way there is no jewelry out here where the rides are people had to have lost things here. We'd dug tons of change in the few visits there but no jewelry. Funny thing though as I was saying that and dug the last spot she had left for me out pops a good sized sterling silver heart earring. My mother made the find of the day but I was fine with that was glad she got to find something good. 20210606_164455.jpg 20210606_171401.jpg mir_20210606_173629.jpg mir_20210606_173656.jpg

Upvote 20

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep on doing those comparisons and things will work out..try to get back there and I think that you will be rewarded

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also that earring on my Dues XP on the highest frequency came up as 91 solid about 4 inches down. I've learned 91 and 92 can be copper pennies, dimes, and so far small silver. Quarters that are clad I've observed come up around 95 97 but also darned bottle caps like to be in that range. Zinc pennies are about 84 and things like copper and brass keys can jump around that area. So learned a bit but still no gold in the field to have an idea about that or silver coins

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your time and you will dial in your Deus.Think about what you have learned so far and perhaps have a log book to write your settings and recoveries..

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your time and you will dial in your Deus.Think about what you have learned so far and perhaps have a log book to write your settings and recoveries..
Good idea

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the Dues have an Iron discrimination mode if so you could eliminate the bottle caps also would your Mom be interested in a 5x8 protective coil cover my coil took a dump and I switched to a Nel coil so she can have the cover if she wants it. Let me know and you can PM me an address to send it to. I don't need it but I didn't want to throw it away.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spending time with mom is the true treasure in this story.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spending time with mom is the true treasure in this story.
Definitely true. I was the one whom got my mother into the hobby. Taught her to use a metal detector and she eventually bought a AT Pro and loved it. Was cool once she mastered pro mode on zero. It was funny she gets too tired to dig so she marks all her good signals while I'm out looking for stuff once she runs out of markers I go and dig them all.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are setting a good example for me, all i want to do is swing and dig. I should practice, even set up my own test garden........super cool find for mom!

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you allowed to metal detect on the old airbase? I know I had to have lost something during some drunken party's when I was based there.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you allowed to metal detect on the old airbase? I know I had to have lost something during some drunken party's when I was based there.
Some spots and some spots are now privately owned. I haven't had much luck there besides some keys and trash. I think Google uses a large portion now as well if I remember correctly to test their driverless cars. I had gone into a section not knowing it wasn't okay to be there and got asked to leave and pointed the areas it was okay to be in. I just personality haven't had luck there yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread