• SI or AL.jpg
    SI or AL.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,420
OP
OP
J

jwvanno2

JakePhelps said:
is it heavy or light for its size, also you could do a specific gravity test :)

I'd call it heavy for it's size, but it's not very big, so it's very hard to tell... I've attached another image with a dime for scale.

Maybe a jeweler could tell??

Attachments

• AL or SI.jpg
    AL or SI.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 18,911
Upvote 0

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
I found something a few days ago that looks just like that. it came off of a construction site and seems light so i'd go with a hunk of melted aluminum. I went outside this morning and the workers had started a fire out of anything they could find to keep warm and i saw they had thrown a hunk of aluminum siding in the fire. (probably just to mess with me in a year or two :) )

BTW......anyone know the name of those silvery layered rocks that you can find in red clay?

Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

is it soft? Can you bend it? If heavy it is lead. If so go wash your hands. You do not want to handle lead and then eat food.

Upvote 0

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I was recently over on the east coast and was talking to so other hunters and they were telling me about how they have found Titanium, from the Challenger shuttle.

Now you have three choices. Did you clean it? It looks pretty bright.
If it was aluminum from a fire I wouldn't expect it to be so clean.

Good Luck and HH

Baddog

Upvote 0
R

Rich

jwvanno2 said:
Any ideas on how a layperson can tell the difference between a chunk of Aluminum or Silver?

Found this piece on the beach today...

Have I found a beer can that got too close to a fire or a Spanish silver nugget?
Very good question!!! - one that will trick people unless they do thier research on minerals and metals...lol,..

But looks to have been melted and then trown into a bucket of water.... - to shiney to be lead,or peweter,....id have to put my money on melted silver?....

Alum- i never would think of goin threw the hassle of melting a vast amount to procure a nugget lookin / water hit silver....

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whenever there is a large campfire, someone is going to throw their aluminum soda or beer can in the fire. It will melt and eventually burn away. Usually the fire will not be hot enough, long enough, to completely burn away. I find melted pieces of alum like this wherever there was a campfire. I don't know why it is so shiny. Silver is not shiny either after exposure to salt. Maybe the waves polished it.
I made a test solution by mixing nitric acid, a pinch of potassium dichromate, and a little distilled water. Here is a site on test solutions: http://shoreinternational.com/TestGoldMakeSolution.htm

Attachments

• MVC-007F.JPG
    MVC-007F.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,220
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I don't know why this link for silver testing is not com ing up. I will have to type some of it from my copy.
To Test
File a notch in test piece, apply a drop of solution- watch for color reaction.
Brass--Dark Brown
Copper--Brown
Gold--None
Nickel--Blue
Lead--Yellow
Tin--Yellow
Silver(pure)--Bright Red
Silver .925--Dark Red
Silver .800--Brown
Silver .500--Green
Palladium--None

I used this Nitric Acid/Potassium Dichromate/Water solution to test a large piece of metal i found on Treasure Beach. It showed yellow, and turned out to be lead sheathing from an old ship. It worked good on silver too ( Dark Red). I will have to try it on Aluminum.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[
I don't know why this link for silver testing? is not com ing up.? I will have to type some of it from my copy.
To Test
File a notch in test piece,

A) AHAHAH, not if it is of value, look for an unexposed spot and remove any finish, then apply the test soloution.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

apply a drop of solution- watch for color reaction.

A) Wait one minute, check the color of the soloution, wipe it off and check the color/mark on the metal for the following color.
`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(start) ( after one minute )
Brass--Dark Brown --------------------------light brown
Copper--Brown--------------------------------cleaned copper
Gold--None-------------------------------------none
Nickel--Blue------------------------------------scarcely any
Lead--Yellow----------------------------------leaden
Tin--Yellow------------------------------------dark
Silver(pure)--Bright Red-------------------grayish white
Silver .925--Dark Red----------------------dark brown
Silver .800--Brown-------------------------dark brown
Silver .500--Green--------------------------dark brown
Palladium--None-----------------------------non
Platinum--Vandyke brown---------------none
Iorn --various -------------------------------black
Zinc --light chocolate---------------------steel grey
Auluminum---Yellow ---------------------no stain

A) then wipe the soloution off and look at he spot left on the metal.

A I appologize for injecting the wiped off colors in your excellent post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used this Nitric Acid/Potassium Dichromate/Water solution to test a large piece of metal i found on Treasure Beach. It showed yellow, and turned out to be lead sheathing from an old ship. It worked good on silver too ( Dark Red). I will have to try it on Aluminum.

Jose de La Mancha ( I tilt eindmills ) & Shboleeths

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Realde, Thanks for the wiped off colors chart; I will print this and save.
Yes, do not file something of value, look for an inconspicuous spot. Wash off when finished.
I love that bright red color of pure silver.

jwvanno2, mix up a small batch. Test a spot. And look for that pretty red. I'm afraid it looks like aluminum to me. Let us know

Nitric acid will sure clean copper! I use it sometimes before soldering a very corroded copper pipe or brass radiator.

Jose , Do you make a living tilting windmills, or is it a hobby.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A) Sniff, so far just a hobby, there desn't seem to be a great demand at the moment, however one can hope, no?. Do you have one that needs to be ----?

Jose de La Mancha ( I tilt windmills ) & shibboeths

Upvote 0

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
DO U HAVE TARGET ID ON UR DETECTOR? WHATS IT SHOW. ALSO USE 18KT ACID, ON STONE, IF ITS SILVER ,IT WILL TURN WHITE GREY ON STONE, IF I REMEMBER RIGHT,

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2006
Tokyo,Japan
;D Wow I have read your replies and I have found many tarnished silver looking nuggets and I will try the knife test . ? The nuggets I have I took them home and washed them and they did'nt shine until I scraped it with a sharp knife . So where did you buy that testing solution at and what are your results !

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

RealdeTayopa said:

A) Sniff,? so far just a hobby, there desn't seem to? be a great demand at the moment, however one can hope, no?.? ?Do you have one that needs to be ----?

Jose de La Mancha? ( I tilt windmills ) & shibboeths
Don Keyhote, man of La Mancha,, right?

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2006
Tokyo,Japan
:'( I keep finding them and finding them but what in the....is it ? It can't be lead to light but I find so many of them can anybody help me out with this and has any one found a peice like this ? I did get it to shine after alot of hard work !

Attachments

• metal detecting 0022.jpg
    metal detecting 0022.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 902
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions