✅ SOLVED Silver or plated tribal bracelet...New or antique ? Country origin ?

Valie

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2017
Quebec
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone,

I found this interesting bracelet bangle this weekend. Cleaned it well, looks gorgeous. I do not have silver tester at home but just used strong magnet to see and it is very slightly magnetic. It looks handcaved and not molded/cast. So not 100% it is silver plated or real silver.

I am really curious if anyone here would have an idea where it could have been made. I was thinking Indonesia, Bali or Chinese, Tibetan or even Maori ? Also could this be just a replica of an antique piece of tribal jewelry ?

It weighs 2.05 oz and size on the outer bracelet (irregular) is 3.75" at its x 3.35" and inside diameter (irregular) is 2.5" x 2.25".

Thanks for any info, would really appreciate it.

- Val

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 79

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure looks silver to me. If there are no "pops" where the plating is coming off of it... then I'd say: real!

If you put spit on the bracelet and wrap it in tin foil for one minute, and it smells like rotten eggs... then it's silver. Sulpher makes the black tarnish on silver, spit and tin foil reverses the process and gives off the smell.

Looks Aztec to me.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Valie

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2017
Quebec
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks so much .carolina for your input, I really appreciate it !

I'll try the spit trick w foil and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the pic, you are right, it does look similar. I will try to go in that direction while continuing my research.

Val:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Valie

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2017
Quebec
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Carolina, it does smell like rotten eggs, exactly, wow, nice tip ! Thanks again for that.

Now I just have to find out from where it is from exactly. I have also spent a lot of time yesterday night on this and I was looking at some Tibetan/Yunnan jewelry that did have some similarities also.

V.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mayan

Kukulkan - the winged serpent that blesses the ground for the spring planting and the fall harvest.

20151114_17.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Valie

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2017
Quebec
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mayan

Kukulkan - the winged serpent that blesses the ground for the spring planting and the fall harvest.

View attachment 1420935

Yes! That makes sense now. I was just re-observing the bracelet again w the magnifying glass and just realized the serpents had a little bead in their mouth (seed?).

Also, very fitting find....my hubbie is a gardener :icon_thumright:

Thank you greatly for your precious input !
Val

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread