Silver or platinum nugget?

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm cross-posting this from the "What is it?" section as I imagine you guys would be the experts on precious metals. I found this nugget today while metal detecting in my front yard here on our NC farm. Around the yard, I usually find pennies and dimes dropped by my fiancee's grandfather in years past, but today I got a strong "quarter" hit in the 82-84 range on my Whites VX3. After digging, cleaning and then some polishing this is what I have. It's about 1 1/4" long by 1/2" wide and fairly heavy. It cleaned up much nicer with the Mother's Mag polish than when it came out of the CLR bath as evidenced by the pics.

So is there a sure fire way to test for silver or platinum? Should I just take it to a jeweler? Anything else this could be? Thanks in advance for any info or insight.

IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0284.JPG IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slag that registers a 82-84 VDI? That doesn't make sense to me. Why do most of the silver and almost all of the platinum nuggets I image search look exactly like this mystery object? I just did a test where you mark the bottom of a ceramic cup with the object and it looks to be silver.

Looks like I'm either going to order a test kit or take it to a jeweler.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its been in a fire....Homesite fires make interesting nuggets. it could be part of a melted fork for all you know. Do u have a torch? hit it with some heat. It could be lead/pewter. It will melt very quickly if it isn't precious. ( be careful)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop in vinegar over night,if violet red in the am-silver. 1 drop of nitric will not hurt pt but black on silver-John

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Slag that registers a 82-84 VDI? That doesn't make sense to me. Why do most of the silver and almost all of the platinum nuggets I image search look exactly like this mystery object? I just did a test where you mark the bottom of a ceramic cup with the object and it looks to be silver.

Looks like I'm either going to order a test kit or take it to a jeweler.

Slag can be melted anything. Car fire? Burned trash? Who knows.

Buying a gold/silver test is a good idea. It's always nice to have around.

Please let us know your results.

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry man.....keep on searching.... Definitely not native and has been melted, could be melted silver I suppose

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't believe Platinum tarnishes like that.

Anyone know anything different?

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread