traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this 2002d penny. It looks like a penny but it also looks like a dime. It's usually smooth, copper on top and silver underneath.
Pennies made after 1983 are 97>5% zinc with a thin copper coating. Looks like something corrosive took some of your copper coating off. My humble opinion. Thanks for posting though.

Upvote 5
OP
OP
S

Stephanie Young

Jan 25, 2022
Texas
Pennies made after 1983 are 97>5% zinc with a thin copper coating. Looks like something corrosive took some of your copper coating off. My humble opinion. Thanks for posting though.
You know,I knew that pennies after 83 were mostly zinc. But if I'm understanding you correctly. All pennies after 83 are of silver color under a small layer of copper? With natural ware we should start seeing a number of pennies with this appearance. I'm new to coin collecting so I'm just trying to clarify.

Upvote 3

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know,I knew that pennies after 83 were mostly zinc. But if I'm understanding you correctly. All pennies after 83 are of silver color under a small layer of copper? With natural ware we should start seeing a number of pennies with this appearance. I'm new to coin collecting so I'm just trying to clarify.
I am no expert just know what they are made of and have seen some with wear before. Take a 2002 penny and scrape away some of the copper and see what you see.

Upvote 1

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert just know what they are made of and have seen some with wear before. Take a 2002 penny and scrape away some of the copper and see what you see.
Weigh your penny. I would say it weighs just around 2.49 grams. If it were silver it would weigh much more than 2.49 grams. Make sure scale accurate and calibrated if you weigh it.

Upvote 2

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yes, they are silver colored zinc under the copper.

Upvote 3

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washer and Dryer coins are well known in the collector's world.
Pennies worn down to feel like dimes is a common trait.

I think it's cooler to find one of these salvaged from a machine and replaced into circulation. Better than an ordinary coin.

Remember, at the end of the year when you do your taxes, to make note that a small portion of your income this year was laundered money.
The IRS will be there to help you ... er, ... Wait ... might better forget that part.
Washer Coins.jpg

Upvote 3

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washer and Dryer coins are well known in the collector's world.
Pennies worn down to feel like dimes is a common trait.

I think it's cooler to find one of these salvaged from a machine and replaced into circulation. Better than an ordinary coin.

Remember, at the end of the year when you do your taxes, to make note that a small portion of your income this year was laundered money.
The IRS will be there to help you ... er, ... Wait ... might better forget that part.
View attachment 2006503
Thanks for info

Upvote 1

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around these parts we use Chlor-Mag for Ice/snow melt....when the snow starts melting you can find coins all around the parking lots of large chain stores, grocery store, etc. The Cholor-Mag makes the pennies look really used beat up, discolored , doesn't take long for them to get in this condition, and the banks will reject them if you try to cash them in. The other coins are bit discolored too from the Chlor-Mag.

Upvote 1

tomytye

Jan 16, 2022
Ct (not a lefty)
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct. Flash plated. Your coin might have been an extra thin flash or coins could have been not cleaned properly so flash didn’t stick well or settings on plating tank were slightly off. Lots of variables with plating.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions