Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
On the facebook coin hunting page a person just showed a quarter they found in a coinstar so at least some of them reject them.

Quarters are hard to find, people seem to notice them and cull them. I find it rare to find a silver quarter in rolls or loose change.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coinstar rejects silver quarter's too..... like detecting, you will get a lot more silver dimes than quarters !!! It rejects, wheats, 1943 steel cents, silver coins, foreign coins (mostly Canadian), bent coins, dirt , worn out coins... ect.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got two or three over the past few years....

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't seen a silver quarter in the wild in years. My guess was that quarters were circulated more than other denom's with soda machines, laundry mats, etc and theyve been mostly pulled from circ.
Not sure exactly but I never find them.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bunch in coinstars and TD penny arcades over the years

OP
OP
Swaveab

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, thanks guys as I wasn't sure about that being I find everything except those silver quarters. I guess one is apt to pop my way someday.

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coinstar rejects silver quarter's too..... like detecting, you will get a lot more silver dimes than quarters !!! It rejects, wheats, 1943 steel cents, silver coins, foreign coins (mostly Canadian), bent coins, dirt , worn out coins... ect.

Curious of you've actually seen rejected wheat. They weigh the same as memorial 95% pennies, so I'm not sure how/why it would reject a wheat

OP
OP
Swaveab

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben, Do you check on just one or multiple coinstars? I have a feeling someone has been watching like maybe an employee who got wise to them. Watch it for awhile if you can to see if someone else is keeping track of it. I just checked a different one yesterday and pulled quite a bit out of it and 2 were silver Rosies.

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found one Silver Washington and 9 silver rosie's since i started checking coinstars around 18 months ago. I just think there is a lot more silver dimes than quarters out there.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a handful of silver quarters over the years, but never in a Coinstar. I was really bummed today because while I was out at my local Walmart returning some stuff, I checked the Coinstar while leaving the service desk. There was tons of stuff in the reject tray. I was afraid that it was going to pull the pouch of my hooded sweatshirt down to my knees. I counted it up when I got home and there was $15.05 in change, with over $12 of it being quarters. Nothing good in there and no reason for all the rejects. The only bad stuff I saw was 1 chewed up Zincoln and a dirty cent of some sort.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Keith, 15 bucks is not good? lol
Pacific Searcher, those are nice #'s in that amount of time!
I've managed two rosie's, a 1940 quarter, several wheats including one steel, (a real nice 43s) a bunch of foreign coins and a bunch of regular change.
First rosie was in the reject with a zinclon. Second was actually on the ledge next to the basket stacked up with a plastic Lincoln cent and a big $5 hong kong coin.
The steal wheat was with a bunch of regular change and in the reject bin. The 40 quarter was in the reject bin with a new quarter and dime.
Several times I have scooped up a good handful outtat the bin only to find just regular change.
Also, I find change in the basket, up on top of the machine or on top of any close countertop or top of the recycle bins, etc.
My very first silver from the coinstar was down through the holes in the basket. It's a small sterling box chain necklace. I keep a new #2 pencil with two way tape on the erasure end and fish things out. No gold.....YET!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there another reject tray other than the one on the bottom front that is like a small cup?

Yes, there is an internal reject chute that swallows keepers, and doesn’t include or tabulate the total of the customers change... only about 10% makes it to the external reject tray....
It is called the “dirt cup” and no doubt every Coinstar rep has a hell of a collection.

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that I've found just about everything else 25 cents and under out of coinstars, but no silver quarters. Has anyone else found silver quarters or does the coinstar machine accept those? It kicks out the silver Rosies due to weight so I would assume it should do this for a silver Washington too. Anyone getting them?

I found two last year, a 1955 and a 1957-D. They're out there, but you'll have far better luck with dimes. It's been 40 years since I found one in change.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father told me when they switched in 1964 from silver to clad the quarters disappeared pretty quickly. His family owned a restaurant that had a juke box in it back a long time ago during the Savin rock days in Connecticut. Not sure if any of you older guys remember that. I am to young. Anyway he said every Friday the owner of the juke box used to come in and my father who was about 12 at the time would look through all the silver coins and pick out the ones he wanted and his father would give the man the money. He said quarters were tuff to find back then even a couple years after the switch.

As others have said they circulate probably the most and they are easiest for people to see in pocket change. Dimes go unseen for the most part.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread