Swaveab

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
mark1982, I've no doubt a silver quarter is more readily seen and maybe that is the reason for not being found in a coinstar machine, but anyone who is that concerned of silver will look for the silver dimes as well. I'm thinking there's another factor involved and may even be dropping to that internal catch due to the high weight compared to a clad. Who knows? I just know I haven't gotten one as of yet even though many dimes have passed through. Someone checking for silver quarters will look for silver dimes as well and that's my thought on the theory of those just spotting them quicker.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a couple......but more dimes than anything else.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Found this...

"...[FONT=q_serif]The machines are calibrated to accept coins which fit a pre-determined size range, weight range and material composition. If the coin is not within those ranges in size and weight the machine will reject it. The range is limited and corresponds to expected wear for the coins during its lifetime. Coins which are damaged will be rejected as will foreign coins, or items that aren't the correct material composition. Sometimes the machines will make a mistake in sorting and if you run the coin a second time it will process. A pre-1965 US coin made of silver will reject as the material composition won't be recognized by the machine. The same is true for wartime silver nickels (1942-1945), steel pennies and other oddities..."[/FONT]

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Got one today - 1964. Also got two Canadian dimes and a lithium watch battery.

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
Swaveab

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I'd just update that I've still not found any silver quarters, but continue to get the dimes. I have gotten Canadian silver dimes as well, but not Canadian silver quarters. Many don't realize which Canadians even have silver in them and what percentage. I'm just happy they're dumb about it and leave them for me.

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found nine of them (compared with nearly 80 silver dimes), but none in the last two years. Because they're more noticeable, fewer may have survived the big silver melts of 1964-65 and 1980, and those that did were more readily pulled from circulation.

If you search through rolls, they're still out there, but it requires far more patience than hunting other denominations.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coinstar rejects silver quarter's too..... like detecting, you will get a lot more silver dimes than quarters !!! It rejects, wheats, 1943 steel cents, silver coins, foreign coins (mostly Canadian), bent coins, dirt , worn out coins... ect.
The Publix near my home seems to always have foreign coins, lots of Bahamian. Day before yesterday I stopped by after work and there was a coin stuck under the dump bay. Wiggled it out, 1959 Italian L100. Week before a 1963 Netherlands Antillian 1 cent. You never know.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben, Do you check on just one or multiple coinstars? I have a feeling someone has been watching like maybe an employee who got wise to them. Watch it for awhile if you can to see if someone else is keeping track of it. I just checked a different one yesterday and pulled quite a bit out of it and 2 were silver Rosies.
I think employees are catching on. Two of the Walmarts I check, the customer Service area i right in front midway between entrances, so obvious what I am doing when I check. There is another Walmart that the CS area is tucked away to the right as you go in the RH entrance, no check out stands full of people to watch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread