Silver Ring with a Story on it...

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this silver ring in a city park at Big Timber, Montana a couple of summers ago. An antique dealer said it is probably a handmade, custom made ring. It has the word "Sterling" engraved on the inside of the band along with an engraving of a hut with smoke coming out of it and 3 initials inside the hut. There appears to be a story on the outside of the ring. A person in a grass skirt with a sword in hand appears to be chasing someone without grass skirt. There are two others with grass skirts, one appears to be fanning the flames of a fire. There appear to be grass or bamboo huts, possibly one made of wood. One question I have is:
Would the initials inside the band be more likely to be the owner or the artisan of the ring?
Also, any insight as to what group of people the ring refers to. My first thought was that it is Native American in origin, but the grass huts and grass skirts would indicate that this would be more likely to be from the Southwest where there is warmer climate. Doesnt seem that this would be indigenous to northern native Americans. It almost seemed to me to be more like Incan or Central American in some ways. Ring size = 11 Attached are 4 views around the ring. Thanks for looking.
;) Butch at Lake Woebegon, Minnesota ;)

Attachments

• RingView1.jpg
    RingView1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 381
  • RingView2.jpg
    RingView2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 384
  • RingView3.jpg
    RingView3.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 379
  • RingView4.jpg
    RingView4.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 379

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Very cool ring! I agree it looks central American or Mexican in the design.
Hard to say - but I'm sure someone was very sorry to have lost it. I suspect
it was a hard mold to make for a jeweler. Maybe made by the person
who owned it. But nice find!

Zommbee

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Same story, different culture. She's hot and passionate-husband trying to catch the guy coming out of the hut ;D. Looks a little like Mayan. Yeah, it's Mayan-give it back LOL. Great find DFX. HH

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice find,,, Looks like it definitely tells some type of story...
Who knows, depending on the story, and the culture, you may have a museum piece there... ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dfxdude

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, whoever did the work on this ring put some time into it. I hadn't given a thought about it before, but it is most likely a "one-of-a-kind" type of item, making it probably my most unique find in 3 years of MD'ing. Stoney, I like the "hot and passionate" story. Maybe he was protecting his daughter's virginity. With that long sword, it sure would make me think twice about messing around with his daughter/wife/girlfriend. Could end up being the next John Bobbitt.

Upvote 0
S

skidooforever

I can decipher these images;

The man with the sword is upset with the other guy, because he was in a tent w/ the first guys girlfriend (thus the lack of clothing)

The other two fellas are signalling to the tribal police to send help, there is a crazy guy running around w/ a sword.

LOL a little humour for yall.

Upvote 0

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey DFXDude. Recently read an article about early north american cultures. Your guess about it being native american may be right. Try a search on Cahokia. May ring a bell for your quest. Good luck~CO2

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread