NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks,

This is fresh out of the ground. Found about 2 hours ago. There aren't any hallmarks, which bothers me. However, I ran a silver test and got back a positive with bright red staining. Came out of the ground shining and rang from 23-26 on the Equinox. I hope it's real. If it is, it will be the best thimble I've ever found. At any rate, I know what my monopoly piece will be from here on out!

Any information as to age or manufacture would be very welcome. Found while looking for the site of a store marked on an 1877 map here in northern TN. Also got a flat button, a pocket watch piece, and a bunch of modern junk.

Thanks for looking,
-NZ49er
20220414_113058.jpg
20220414_113106.jpg
20220414_113110.jpg

Upvote 26

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy folks,

This is fresh out of the ground. Found about 2 hours ago. There aren't any hallmarks, which bothers me. However, I ran a silver test and got back a positive with bright red staining. Came out of the ground shining and rang from 23-26 on the Equinox. I hope it's real. If it is, it will be the best thimble I've ever found. At any rate, I know what my monopoly piece will be from here on out!

Any information as to age or manufacture would be very welcome. Found while looking for the site of a store marked on an 1877 map here in northern TN. Also got a flat button, a pocket watch piece, and a bunch of modern junk.

Thanks for looking,
-NZ49er
View attachment 2020881 View attachment 2020882 View attachment 2020883
That's a silver..nice

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the hint! Nothing I can see inside. But I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever lucky enough to find another one.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive found 4 or 5 and all are unmarked other than size stamp on a few. Without a sterling mark and based on where found I would assume they are all around CivilWar or earlier

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found 4 or 5 and all are unmarked other than size stamp on a few. Without a sterling mark and based on where found I would assume they are all around CivilWar or earlier
I just had a look at the "silver hallmarks" page on Wikipedia. Sounds like you are about right on the age range for ones without a marking. Looks like they started putting .925 or "Sterling" starting about 1868 in the US.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks,

Thanks for looking,
-NZ49er
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find congrats

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty one for sure , I found one just like that last week but mine's crushed flat .
They always seem to come out that way, don't they? I've found 3 thimbles in the last month and this is the only one that wasn't squashed.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure looks silver to me- you have a winner- awesome looking thimble- Congrats!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Howdy folks,

Thanks for looking,
-NZ49er
Very Nice #8

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread