Silver uMax in the parks..whats your settings?

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im more of a relic/woods hunter and only recently started hitting some parks around my area. Staying to the older parks and hoping for older coins and lost things but mostly coming up with tabs and aluminum bottle caps.
Of if youre in a park those things are all a part of the process but I wonder what settings most of you using the silver umax are running.
Out in the woods I often run the sensitivity high and discrim on foil. Works good there but there isnt all that modern trash where I have been hunting in the past.

So yeah...any tips would be great. :icon_pirat:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run my sensitivity between 9 and 10 and discrimination at the O in FOIL.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
although I primarily hunt salt with SS, I do visit a park with silver uMax while the wife trains for Roller Derby on the netball court. It park is fairly trashy (unlike Roller Derby which is totally trashy). I use disrim on fractionally above Iron and crank the sensitivity - this generally excludes the numerous and dreaded "stubby" bottle tops - they pop and crack at this point, when I get a target I'm thumbing the discrim to predict the target - digging most and learning the language - I have not hit any gold / silver yet - but have got a good amount of coins for the small amount of time given and am guessing correctly more often.

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your info.
I recently saw a youtube vid of a guy running the sensitivity very low in trashy parks.
Seems to me this would hurt the depth? But he says it weeds out a lot of the aluminum trash.
What do you guys think?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deathhare,

To me, there's two ways to hunt with your uMax: for coins only or for coins and jewelry.

If you want coins only, set your discrimination to just below NICKEL, keep your senstivity higher and have at it. :icon_thumleft:

If you want coins and jewelry, I'd set the discrimination just below FOIL and go hunting.

Either way you will dig trash. More in the jewelry setting, less in the coin setting.

But the more you toy with discrimination and sensitivity, the more targets you will lose.

You just have to decide how you feel that day and set your detector accordingly. If you're in a "coins" mood, don't sweat the fact that you might be passing up gold jewlery.

It just goes with the territory.

HH, Smudge

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is this detector? you finding any silvers?

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overall I think its an amazing detector. Especially for the money. Ive rarely heard anyone say anything negative about the silver umax. Its great.
Ive found quite a few silvers since Ive had it but not really been trying as Ive been more interested in CW stuff until now.
Hoping to get into a lot more coin stuff now.

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola/BandidoII u max/Quick draw II/Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just below foil on the Silver and Cibola is what i use My Bandido just above nail and dig it all.
This gets Ugly some times.
But i love finding tiny tiny bits of stuff LOL

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We will keep it high,near zinc penny and try to clean up on the clad. If the park is very productive we will keep it high till our targets are few and far between, then we dial down to nickel. We love our Umax, just this week my brother has found 9 silvers including an 1855 o half dollar and a 1907o half dollar. Our first silver halves. Dan

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow this thread is back from the dead. :laughing9: