Silver, Wheatys, Rings and Tokens! Finally a good weekend!

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a Whites Spectra V3i thinking I was getting the best of the best. I have had an AT Pro for less then a year, and it has done me very well. However I thought if I bought the Whites I would be able to find many more coins as well as get better depth. I have about twenty five hours in on the Whites machine, which is not enough to master it but enough to start getting the hang of it. I went to an old church and store which are right across the road from one another. I pounded those places with the Whites and found one wheat penny, and two clad coins. I was getting frustrated because I felt these would be great places to detect. I put the Whites back in my truck and pulled out my trusty neglected AT Pro. Within three feet of using it at the old church I found coin after coin, mostly clad. I then found a wheat penny and a little silver ring.

I then went to the old store and pounded it with the Whites. I did find the Daita Wells 1968 luck token but nothing else. I pulled out my AT Pro, went over the same ground I used the Whites and found nine more wheat pennies, a 1962 dime, three mercury dimes, a Canton City Ohio Bus Token, and a gold plated ring.

Though im sure the Spectra v3i is the superior machine as far as depth, whistles and bells, I learned that my AT Pro is the machine that works best for me. It is a coin hound and I know and understand every sound and reading it gives. Luckily my Dad is interested in buying my $1400 Spectra. Im sticking with the AT Pro. Just thought Id share my finds and experience with both machines. Thanks for reading!

weekend finds.gif

tokens.gif

Upvote 4

Fyrguy86

Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab GPX5000, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds brother

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fryrguy. I also ended my silver drought. It has been months since I've pulled out a silver coin, so those four dimes were a welcome site!

KY PI

Sep 19, 2011
Northeastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Congrats on your finds! I'll try to call you this week about a place we need to hunt soon......already got permission!

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! I love my ATPro, I don't think I could ever give it up. :occasion14:

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be working a lot Bluegrass. V3i's don't work well in Bluegrass. :-)

Seriously, machines are like cars. What's good for someone else, may not be so good for you.

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Ky Pi, yeah we definitely need to get out soon. Give me a call this week and we will try to set something up. Zee I agree; as mariposagold stated "whats good for someone else, may not be so good for you." I know the Whites is a more high tech machine, and im sure the depth is wonderful but it isn't the machine for me. I adapted well to the AT Pro and know it by heart. I believe if I kept using the Whites I would ultimately get better, but I think Ill stick to what I know.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Great finds buddy! Nice job ending that silver drought. You and I discussed why I stick with my low end Tesoro....I know what you mean by sticking with the best machine for you and your ears, not the one that costs the most money.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some great finds! Sometimes what you have the most experience on will give you the best results. I bet if you keep using the Whites you will gain some better results. That said just about any metal detector will find metal. I will say I've hunted with my Etrac for going on a year and have either equaled or bettered anyone I've hunted with that had an ATpro: of course that could be experience too, it's hard to know for sure. I know I still have trouble with the Etrac's multiple tones so I just use two tones and have done really well this year. I know the Spectra has many settings maybe you just haven't found what works for you with it?

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 1320. Yes I see actually what you mean by using what works for you! The AT Pro has been good to me and as I said, I know every tone it makes. We need to get out detecting soon. We actually have a day off next Monday and me and my buddy who lives in Bath plan on heading out. If you could break away that day we could hit the spot we hit as well as some places he has lined up. Sovereignelite, thanks for the advice. Your right, I could do a better job once I use the Whites for awhile. It is just so different from my AT Pro. Im used to the sounds and I don't have that with the Whites which I think is part of the problem for me. Im gonna try it some more and just keep doing what I did this weekend. Im going to hit a place with the Whites then follow it with the AT Pro and see how it goes. I believe the Whites is the superior detector, but Im just not sure if it is the best for me.

Yenges Khan

Mar 7, 2013
Beaver County, PA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, ACE 350, Bounty Hunter Discovery, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I went out one day, me with my atpro and he had a whites. Only time we went together. We did an old incline trail and a big yard with a 1900 house. Not sure of the model he had but he bought it a couple years back and paid the same as I did for the garrett. ($600) While neither of us found anything fantastic my coin count to his was absurd. He didn't find a one and and I was 20 plus. This is my third and I had a bounty hunter, an ace350 and now the pro. I guess I can't compare the two brands until I used a whites but I'm happy with mine and it's so accurate I don't even use the equipped pinpointer.

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is just something about the AT Pro that is excellent at sniffing out coins.

Blueblood

Oct 10, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have about 25 hours in on the AT Pro and really have enjoyed it. Yes, I also find a ton of coins. I have primarily use the standard coin setting while settling in with this detector. My first "nice" metal detector was a White's XLT about 6 years ago. I really liked it but I have to say, I am a big fan of the AT Pro so far.

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blueblood, once you get the hang of finding coins in the standard mode, make sure and learn the Pro mode. I can do really well in the Pro mode because I have learned the sounds. Once you learn the sounds you can match them up with your VDI and its very accurate. It will save you a lot of time digging pop cans and other metals that come up as coins in the standard mode. :icon_thumleft:

Yenges Khan

Mar 7, 2013
Beaver County, PA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, ACE 350, Bounty Hunter Discovery, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blueblood, once you get the hang of finding coins in the standard mode, make sure and learn the Pro mode. I can do really well in the Pro mode because I have learned the sounds. Once you learn the sounds you can match them up with your VDI and its very accurate. It will save you a lot of time digging pop cans and other metals that come up as coins in the standard mode. :icon_thumleft:

I agree. I love the pro mode also.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's pretty good for turn on and go operation: way easier than using an Etrac, or at least at first. Whatever works for you is really the best advice. I hunt in the TTF (Two-Tone-Ferrous) mode exclusively but most Etrac users do the Conductive mode and only use TTF in heavy iron. I use it all the time and have had a great year. I've gotten so used to that mode that I have 100% confidence in my abilities with it AND I rarely dig nails at 12" like I used to in the Conductive mode.
There is just something about the AT Pro that is excellent at sniffing out coins.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a whites MXT pro, great detector. But I have pulled tons of coins from the same places I pounded with the MXT and other detectors with my AT gold.
HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread