Silver??

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this piece about ankle deep at low tide on a Treasure Coast beach. Registered 45-53 on my Legend. Absolutely no magnetic attraction. Having never recovered any old silver I am naturally a little suspicious of the shape and the weight. But the very thin vein of silver colored material could account for the low weight. Or, I guess it could be a piece of aluminum for all I know. I'll have it tested to be sure, but wanted to show it as found to see what you who are knowledgeable about these things think. Red arrows are what appears to be a shiny silver metallic material. Thanks for looking.
6-24-22 (2).JPG
6-24-22 3.JPG
6-24-22 4.JPG
6-24-22 5.JPG
6-24-22.JPG

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be some encrusted aluminum, it would give a silver color and it would be light and it wouldn't be magnetic either. An acid test is probably needed to confirm what it is.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BotB. If aluminum it looks as if it might have been melted. I've heard of rocket debris being found. Or maybe a beach bonfire. It seems it would take a while under water to get that kind of encrustation tho. Monday I'll try to get it checked out. Would it hurt if I let it soak in white vinegar for awhile ?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, it's probably aluminum or pot metal. It doesn't take long for those metals to get corroded in salt water. That piece could have been dropped there within the last few weeks, but, more likely a few months to a year.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input folks. Nice to imagine what could be. I did not even see the shiny part till someone at home mentioned it. I was more interested in trying to determine if a nail I found near that piece was a ship's nail. First experience with the vinegar treatment. Pretty interesting. Here's a couple of shots in the soak.
6-24-22 06.png
6-24-22 07.png

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUESTION RESOLVED. After 48 hrs in white vinegar I took this item to West Bay Traders in Vero Beach to be assessed. Most folks detecting the Treasure Coast are familiar with them. Definitely silver, has been on the bottom for a long time. No marks of any kind. Most likely flaked of a larger coin or larger silver object. Hence the thin layers of silver. Also had a positive bleach test. Could have been from any ship that ever sank along the coast. Never know, never care, nice to have my first old silver find.. Thanks for all the feed back, and tips. Creds to the Legend.
DSCN4367.JPG
Silver B.png Silver D.png Silver H.png Silver K.png

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, West Bay Traders has changed drastically. No more big retail showroom. Much smaller space, only open Tuesday and Thursday, and only by appointment. Same great bunch of guys. Same great service, even for a non buying assessment. Looks like they've gotten into higher end stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions