Simple question, you have 1000 bucks what’s your machine

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping the GPX5000 and DEUS because I know these machines because I had more hours using them. The only other machines that I’ve had that much time with was Whites MXT and an ATpro. Both I’ve since sold only because in my mind at the time, I was upgrading. I’ve had numerous others over the years. I just stick to what I feel comfortable with not necessarily what finds the best. That depends on location location location and user user user IMO.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd buy an Ace 400 and a Simplex and spend the remainder on lotto tickets

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went a little berserk today and bought a "specialty" machine for banging very deep targets. Wanna guess what I got? Winner gets an invite to my famous PA spot in about 3 weeks! Truly! But we're still social distancing, so take that into effect. I guess per entry! (I am serious and seriously bored, just redid trim in kitchen, a new tub enclosure all by myself and had the truck detailed, for fun.)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you get a super discount you cannot get a fully equipped Equinox 800 for $1000 anymore. The price just went up and when you add the aftermarket shaft you're up to $1100. It annoys me the folks who insist on selling them "bundled"! I don't need another pinpointer, although some may. They start at $949 to $1028 on Ebay today, and you still will want that aftermarket shaft. Some individual dealers may still offer discounts.

I don't know what all the fuss about the shafts is. Mine is just fine, no wobble at all and I am a ground scrubber, and I have a couple friends with 800s also and they have no problems with shafts. A gussied up carbon shaft won't help me find better targets. I did get a Plugger carbon fiber travel shaft for my excal, mostly wanted the under the forearm pod mount, but see no reason to get a different shaft for my Nox.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine wobbled from day 1. It was not amusing. Beats me. I don't know what they're doing differently with the new ones, if anything. No clue.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take your question on it's face as the 1000 has to all be used for a detector, not I'll give a $1000 to do with it what you want, like buy nothing or buy a 400 dollar detector and spend the rest on Hookers and Blow or a new clutch for my car.

Simple question, simple answer, Equinox or Deus. It really is that simple. Unless we are talking a used detector that once was much more and you could get for a 1000, like possible a 3030 or what not.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what all the fuss about the shafts is. Mine is just fine, no wobble at all and I am a ground scrubber, and I have a couple friends with 800s also and they have no problems with shafts. A gussied up carbon shaft won't help me find better targets. I did get a Plugger carbon fiber travel shaft for my excal, mostly wanted the under the forearm pod mount, but see no reason to get a different shaft for my Nox.

Same here, i was one of the first batch, no wobble on mine either. But whatever, maybe my perception of wobble isn't the same as theirs.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interestingly enough, most of my best stuff over the decades has been with machines that cost $200-$500. The White's was the $200 one, and that was in the 1980's. Frankly, I probably shouldn't have sold most of the ones I had.

MetalarchSC I tried swinging one of those big machines and sort of not really almost died doing it! Hats off to you! I used to see guys at competitive digs swinging AT PRo's with coils the size of outdoor garbage cans lids and my mouth just dropped open!

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take your question on it's face as the 1000 has to all be used for a detector, not I'll give a $1000 to do with it what you want, like buy nothing or buy a 400 dollar detector and spend the rest on Hookers and Blow or a new clutch for my car.

Simple question, simple answer, Equinox or Deus. It really is that simple. Unless we are talking a used detector that once was much more and you could get for a 1000, like possible a 3030 or what not.

The oddly put question was "you got 1000 bucks what you buying and going to roll with folks", I didn't take that to mean I would have to spend $999.99 of it on a single detector, so naturally if you opt for a cheaper detector you'll have some change left - And yes, the question was pretty much set up so just about everyone says "Nox!" I had one, didn't like it, sold it so count me off the nox bandwagon. [Had an over $1k+ Deus too, didn't like it either and sold it as well]. So we have alot of different folks here with different preferences, learning curve tolerances and hunting conditions, it really is not just as simple as that.
If it was that simple, no one would have anything besides a nox, and they really would have obsoleted all other detectors, as they frantically claimed in their ridiculous marketing hoopla.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oddly put question was "you got 1000 bucks what you buying and going to roll with folks", I didn't take that to mean I would have to spend $999.99 of it on a single detector, so naturally if you opt for a cheaper detector you'll have some change left .

Cmon' man, The question wasn't set up. His question, wasn't "I'm going to give you a 1000.00, do with it what you please and keep the change" With your logic, since most all of us already have 1 or more detectors we love, we all wouldn't buy anything, we'd just pocket the 1000.00 or spend one night in Bankok with a tranny named Tiffany.

For me, on it's face the question is "whats the best bang for your buck detector for no more then a 1000.00". Pretty darn simple really.

Sure, one can buy a cheaper detector like a vanquish, at pro, simplex etc and be perfectly happy and find good stuff, but it's objectively false to say there aren't better overall machines that fall within the 1000 dollar budget the op proposed.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was an ambiguous, silly question probably asked dozens of times before, and they get ambiguous, silly answers.
We know where the trend is going around $1K, so why even ask if you are expecting 1 single answer ? I already stated what I'd "roll with" with $1K, a simplex and ace 400, which I have [along with an at pro and vanquish] So I am not going to lie and say "NOX OF COURSE !!" just because thats what everyone expects.

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me 1k and I'm going to put a little with it and get a Deus.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was an ambiguous, silly question probably asked dozens of times before, and they get ambiguous, silly answers.

Now that we can agree on, the topic has been beat to death. That's why my original answer had a whiff of "duh" and sarcasm in it: "Equinox or Deus" and no doubt 49r already knew that being a long time member, he just wanted us to fight, and here I am obliging him. But cryptographer isn't playing over on the other thread, so i had to get my endorphin rush over here. Sad.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since everyone gets in an uproar about anything, I should have said if you can have any machine for free what would it be, point is we have a lot of people that are simply of the argumentative type, frankly if you all feel the need to do such I prefer to ask questions and learn, life to short to be so dam defensive but once again do what you want and bickering accomplish zero, u need example Washington. Go dig folks distress yourself, heart attack and strokes are a dime a dozen, later

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
49er I think you are taking this a bit too seriously, you are the one who sounds like you are about the have a stroke.
You asked a question, you got an answer from me and others, maybe it wasn't the obvious one you were fishing for but leading, open ended questions like "Which detector is really the bestest one ??" do tend to degenerate after a while.

Most likely would be the same in a guitar forum, motorcycles or chocolate chip cookie recipes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Buff Orphington hen is the best detector around. Buttercup found several coins scratching in the dirt last year.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Buff Orphington hen is the best detector around. Buttercup found several coins scratching in the dirt last year.

Nope sorry, the lead coiled Babbaldo Whazzok is far superior to the overrated Buff !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three new birds, they are Old English Duckwing Bantam Gamebirds - and they are tiny. I don't think they'll be able to dig up anything.

Last edited:

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, i would settle down with Lorenz and a standard conductometer set. Oh dear, i would need 20K for that....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread