Simplex question

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted the question below in in the Simplex Forum. No responses yet. I know there are a few Legend users that have experience with both detectors and thought I might get some to share their knowledge of the Simplex on this forum as well. Thanks for looking.

My grandson found this beer can, face up at about 2 feet depth. Okay, I understand it's a big target, but his machine kept reading 92-96 on the display. Isn't that awfully high for a beer can? Got to give him and the Simplex credit. The machine was ringing out loud and clear, and that number kept driving him on in spite of the depth he had to dig. We double checked and there was no other signal at all after removing the can.
20220709_191322.jpg

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I posted the question below in in the Simplex Forum. No responses yet. I know there are a few Legend users that have experience with both detectors and thought I might get some to share their knowledge of the Simplex on this forum as well. Thanks for looking.

My grandson found this beer can, face up at about 2 feet depth. Okay, I understand it's a big target, but his machine kept reading 92-96 on the display. Isn't that awfully high for a beer can? Got to give him and the Simplex credit. The machine was ringing out loud and clear, and that number kept driving him on in spite of the depth he had to dig. We double checked and there was no other signal at all after removing the can.
20220709_191322.jpg
yes it could very well come up in those numbers because of the size and shape it could mimic a large silver coin, and you have to dig those numbers because it could be a big silver coin, 2 feet deep is a little hard to fathom and numbers at that depth, I know the Simplex is a great detector, but in my area you would be lucky to get readings like that at a foot deep simply because the area I detect is highly mineralized

after he got it out was it still ringing up the same numbers ???

OP
OP
S

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes it could very well come up in those numbers because of the size and shape it could mimic a large silver coin, and you have to dig those numbers because it could be a big silver coin, 2 feet deep is a little hard to fathom and numbers at that depth, I know the Simplex is a great detector, but in my area you would be lucky to get readings like that at a foot deep simply because the area I detect is highly mineralized

after he got it out was it still ringing up the same numbers ???
Thanks oldkoot. Appreciate you getting back on this. We have been really impressed with how deep his Simplex finds things. I don't recall if he checked it afterwards. I'll keep that in mind in the future. I wasn't detecting that day so we could not compare to my Legend. Thanks again, and I'll pass it along to him.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On target like this before you dig always raised Detector about a foot off the ground. If you can swing and still get the signal you know it's something large down there and not a coin.

That doesn't mean it's not something good that just means it's not something small.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks oldkoot. Appreciate you getting back on this. We have been really impressed with how deep his Simplex finds things. I don't recall if he checked it afterwards. I'll keep that in mind in the future. I wasn't detecting that day so we could not compare to my Legend. Thanks again, and I'll pass it along to him.
You/he wasn't doing anything wrong, and the machine was doing its job, it is just a fact of life, detecting, you WILL find cans and other largish items....!
I'd say that the tone and loudness can be a clue to cautiously approach these targets...and enjoy the day - you are out doing what you like - metal detecting...~!

OP
OP
S

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You/he wasn't doing anything wrong, and the machine was doing its job, it is just a fact of life, detecting, you WILL find cans and other largish items....!
I'd say that the tone and loudness can be a clue to cautiously approach these targets...and enjoy the day - you are out doing what you like - metal detecting...~!
Thanks for getting back on that question, appreciate the input. So, let me see if I have this right after rereading the responses, the high number VDI in this particular case was more a matter of size than material? I also reevaluated the depth, I think based on the distance fro my elbow to finger tip that it was more likely 18-20 inches deep. Still good enough for me. Most of the dirt here on the Treasure Coast is not hard packed, if that makes any difference. He's had some fairly deep bottle caps on the beach as well. Thanks again to all the comments.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for getting back on that question, appreciate the input. So, let me see if I have this right after rereading the responses, the high number VDI in this particular case was more a matter of size than material? I also reevaluated the depth, I think based on the distance fro my elbow to finger tip that it was more likely 18-20 inches deep. Still good enough for me. Most of the dirt here on the Treasure Coast is not hard packed, if that makes any difference. He's had some fairly deep bottle caps on the beach as well. Thanks again to all the comments.
Your theory is correct....not only will a higher conductive material, like silver, read high but a large target will also. I have dug up a few deep cans with the Deus 2 that also read in the mid 90's. I dig a lot of cans at old sites and here is why: Some years ago i was detecting a cut corn field that had been hunted pretty hard that was a yankee camp during the civil war. The field has roads on two sides, so trash is pretty bad along those edges. I was hunting the one road edge one evening and had already dug atleast 3 cans when i hit another similar signal. But this signal was not a can, it was an eagle breastplate in very good shape! This is why the coil raise method will tell you it is big but not whether it is trash or treasure....

OP
OP
S

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your theory is correct....not only will a higher conductive material, like silver, read high but a large target will also. I have dug up a few deep cans with the Deus 2 that also read in the mid 90's. I dig a lot of cans at old sites and here is why: Some years ago i was detecting a cut corn field that had been hunted pretty hard that was a yankee camp during the civil war. The field has roads on two sides, so trash is pretty bad along those edges. I was hunting the one road edge one evening and had already dug atleast 3 cans when i hit another similar signal. But this signal was not a can, it was an eagle breastplate in very good shape! This is why the coil raise method will tell you it is big but not whether it is trash or treasure....
Thanks Digger. Good advice. I guess that lifting technique works for most, if not all, machines.
I see that you are located in the general area of direct family line ancestors at the Germanna colonies. The family came in the second group in 1717. The Clore Furniture company is one of the oldest private companies in the US. Do you detect around Madison and Culpepper? Would love to get up that way one day to detect. I have visited the area several times but not a a detectorist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread