skeleton canyon treasure

mogollonman

Dec 9, 2008

CamoQueen

Dec 4, 2008
Cochise County, Arizona
i have always heard that it isn't sitting in one spot but scattered all over the place. Now this is just what ive heard. I am also friends with a woman that used to go looking for it every weekend when she was younger. A man that was with her found a coin in some rocks or something. On there way back he fell off a ledge and broke his leg. Thats all i know. Not much help. lol!

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Should be able to look back on this site and get old info. Was there myself 3X. Someone who lived in Mexico where all the treasure came from did a lot of research and could not fine any info that proved it ever existed.

ozrobtreasure

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
:coffee2: Am new to site. Live in AZ. Going to Skeleton canyon area for a few days. Any suggestions? Have been there a few times but have researched the whole area and found a few "hints". Like the way this discussion board is handled and we are looking for good and reliable sources/members. Will let ya'll know. Thanks. treasureseekergirl

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
I'm really SORRY! >:(
But!
As you all know?
The treasure of the Mexican Silver pack train is NOT IN ! The Skeleton Canyon
"It", the treasure (coins/etc) was packed up after the outlaw's attacked and killed the Mexican Guards
AND!
They, the outlaws, then, Removed, and hid the silver/etc in a canyon, close to their hideout
Miles away!
But!
There are a few coins/etc, that were scattered around the canyon
Probably all have been discovered by now! :icon_scratch:
These are a result of the pack burros running around during the attack and scattering their(s) loads
Up & Down the canyon !
The canyon today looks like a "WAR ZONE" ! :tongue3:
There are, literally, holes dug everywhere! :tard:

ozrobtreasure

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
:coffee2: Okay, so I already was familiar with the story, as I am from that area. So, as I said I went down to check it out. You can no longer go through the gate and get back into Skeleton Cyn. The rancher has put a lock on it and although I had the combination I didn't use it as the ranchers are very insistent that they want no one back in there! I spoke to a local woman who told me just last week her house had been broken into by illegals and they destroyed her new truck trying to hotwire it. The locals in the entire area are having a lot of trouble with smuggling and illegal activity. Back to the treasure story: the two hills that are mentioned near Galeyville: Harris has a big telescope on top now and Davis doesn't look like you can get to it as there are many No Trespassing signs. Growth in the area will keep this treasure from ever being found, if indeed there ever was one.
We did drive down to Slaughter Ranch and around the Peloncillos from the east however there is hardly a road there to get into Skeleton or South Skeleton. So for now, this one is like many others-to be left alone until such time that more information is found. However, I still believe that the story is true.
I'll be working down in extreme southern AZ around Altar Valley in the next couple of months. Anyone got something to check out? treasureseekergirl

ozrobtreasure

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
:coffee2: I asked the lady how the rancher could lock the gate when it goes to forest service land. she said the road belonged to the rancher and he could lock it. Snure and another rancher were named. She suggested I give them a call. I had already tried to call Snure and no one answered.

the southern way in? Is that the road out of Douglas toward Animas Valley that goes to Slaughter Ranch? that's the way we went, but the turnoff toward Skeleton Cyn. didn't look good (we have 4X4). Are you saying we could get in from there? treaureseekergirl

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
I believe that there is a "Federal or State Law ?" :thumbsup: that says something like:
"If a road has been used for public access (to somewhere/sometime) that, that road cannot be CLOSED!"
Check with The Arizona Attorney or The Federal Attorney Generals
BUT!
Don't give up ::) if you get
"I/we have never heard of that" :tongue3:
Those guys are none TOO SHARP! :tongue3:
BUT!
I WILL GUARANTEE YOU! :wink:
I DID read that (in a Law Book) some where/time :icon_study:
Many!, Many! Years Ago ! :tongue3:

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
The law is RS2477. This law has been disregarded by the National Forest, the BLM, and private property owners. Sometimes it takes a lawsuit to get the locked gates and No Trespassing signs removed. There are many websites on the Internet that have information on this law:

http://www.rs2477roads.com/

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Igadbois :

That's a SAD TALE ! :'(
But!
All Too Often TRUE!
Most people will not stand up for their "Rights" :-\
But!
I can also understand the rancher's point of view
(I used to live in Douglas. Back when it was safe to do SO ! ;D )
He's in the/a SITUATION of being, between "A rock & A hARD PLACE !" :tard:

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Someone I know that lives there said the gate was locked. No one wanted to push it in court. The kitchen where the ambush was to have taken place is only about ½ mile from the gate. Been all over with a detector and found very few empty cartridges. Couple older most newer type. did find a 1895 nickle and a 45-70 slug. From what I have read over the years there is little to be found there. Only a good spot for the army camp that chased the Indians. A lot of bad things going on along that part now. Need a big bad dog and a couple M-16 to protect your back. That’s probably why the gate is locked . Drugs had been coming through from the south most every night.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
OK...Now you people have got my attention. Wife & I had planned to spend 2-3 nites, early in May, in Douglas with our RV/Jeep on the way back to the East coast. Now I'm wondering if we might change destinations?

I'm armed, but not to the extent that I want to deal with a buncha drug runners. We just want to maybe coinshoot some old parks/schools in the area?

Should we stay in Tombstone & commute?

Our plan is to head from Douglas to Rodeo, NM & then across Hwy. 9 to Columbus/Pancho Villa S/P. Maybe checking out any old train stops along the way.

Any local info would be appreciated!

DR

ozrobtreasure

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
:coffee2: I know the Border Patrol in the Lordsburg south to Douglas area. They are having a little better luck since the new towers were put in. I hear they can "see" someone up to 5 miles in any direction and "know" if they are not supposed to be in the area. Which means if you are not either an illegal or drug smuggler and are "allowed" as citizens of the US to be in the area, then my feeling is you are being "well-protected" - as we should be. Just don't go anywhere along that area 1) alone over night without protection of some kind (gun preferably) and 2) if a Border Patrol agent does stop you and want to talk to you then you might want to say 'thank you' for being there patrolling our borders. It will make you a lot more comfortable while you are out there to know they are around somewhere too. treasureseekergirl

ozrobtreasure

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
:coffee2: First, I am not a 'xenophobe'. Second, I was born and RAISED in that part of our country and I can tell you that I "know" it is not 'madeupstuff'. I don't believe that law enforcement of any kind that is there to protect the United States and it's citizens should be thought of as "sticking their noses where they don't belong". I personally would like to have control over who comes into our country be they Mexican or any other nationality. It is not a waste of 'money'. That would be the government bailouts that are happening right now. And I certainly do not feel that my civil rights are being violated. Oh, and I have never had any issues with illegals or drug smugglers in the area except for the trash now found all over our border area or the time when we had just gotten up in morning camp to find over 50 people walking single file in a narrow ravine up into the mountains. They never looked at us, just kept their heads down and followed their 'leader' single file up into the mountains. All had little pink backpacks which carried the food and water and clothing on their little journey into America. There were adult men and women, small children, older folks, teenagers and not all of them looked Mexican-could some "terrorists" use this route into our country? Maybe, but I'm just happy knowing someone is really looking out for whatever may not be right. NOW LETS TALK TREASURE.........treasureseekergirl

hunte0

Apr 2, 2005
I have spent a lot of time in Skeleton canyon.. the road they have locked is forest service road # 540. Don't know why they are getting away keeping the road locked.. They wouldn't get aweay with it anywhere else.. They closed it in 2005. I figured the sportsmen would get it opened back up..
But even before they closed it, it was a dangerous place to be alone. The treasure was put in a old cave, and caved in. It would take a half dozen guys to get it out, and be safe... and its impossible to find that many poeple, where someone wouldn't get greedy...
Good Luck........

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Skeleton Canyon Treasure*-* Unsolved Mystery

spent almost ten years looking in this area...mostly for the sites of C.S. fly photos of the surrender of Geronimo and his crew...
Vintage Apache  Photographs  - Chiricahua Apache by C.S. Fly

using an old BFO, I found bottle tops. lots of sand. no bullets, buttons or bones.
was camped out when the apache came back for the 100 anniversary of the surrender...the only blue eye in the area.
to all the seeks of this treasure...go find the hut I use for my avatar.

the road is still closed...nasty people make claims about abuse from everyone...just typical small town behavior.

Last edited:

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The road was legally deeded back to private status via Cochise County Government. Both ranches along that road have been sold.

The question of treasure seems moot since Billy and Zwing held up the mining office along the San Pedro. They were tracked to Chandler milk ranch and Billy was killed and Zwing badly wounded. Why would they have committed this robbery when they had all this treasure? Doesn't add up.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I packed the entire thing well into Mexico. I didn't find any sign of Spanish treasure anywhere in the canyon. I more or less went because that's where Geronimo surrendered. I sat exactly where they sat when it went down. The treasure that was hidden by cowboys really was over in another canyon. I have a Rancher friend down there and he told me of a family in which the father died accidently, so the mother took the kids up on the sides of mountains and cut wood for a living. She had like 6 or 7 kids. Well, one of them stumbled into a cave where there was a huge pile of gold coins. They took them all and on the way out of the area, she stopped and payed all of her debits with gold coin. When asked where they were heading, she told them somewhere warm on the ocean in California! I lived there in the area for two years working at the prison. Those were the coldest two winters I ever spent in Arizona!

PartisanRanger

Feb 17, 2018
Farmington, Missouri
Detector(s) used
2@Garrett Master Hunter CXIII with depth multiplier, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett pro pinpointer, Garrett Ace Apex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone who is interested in the treasure of Skeleton Canyon should look outside the box for clues. You can sit there and read and re-read all the stories by treasure writers related to this legend, but the real clues are not found there. Look into the army/cavalry movements during that time (old maps) as well as the Apache Wars. Anything about the Earps is useful. The Tombstone Epitaph has good leads in it's pages. I have collected and studied this legend for 30 years and I am pretty sure I could get to within 50 to 100 yards of where it is buried. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions