image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's a German “canteen” skull ring, so-called because soldiers could buy them from their canteens. Although very popular with soldiers, civilians wore them too. Sometimes they’re silver but were also produced in non-ferrous white metal alloys and silvered brass. The styling of yours doesn’t look to be as old as WWI and most usually they’re from the 1930s and into WWII.

Very similar to this one, said to be 1930s, with most of the silvering worn off:

Skull Ring.jpg

Upvote 3

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this ring in a box of WWI artifacts. It is NOT magnetic. Anybody have an idea of it’s nature ? Thank you.
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: This section contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
B

BigDan2214

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2022
Yes, it's a German “canteen” skull ring, so-called because soldiers could buy them from their canteens. Although very popular with soldiers, civilians wore them too. Sometimes they’re silver but were also produced in non-ferrous white metal alloys and silvered brass. The styling of yours doesn’t look to be as old as WWI and most usually they’re from the 1930s and into WWII.

Very similar to this one, said to be 1930s, with most of the silvering worn off:

View attachment 2055156
Thank you so much. I’m going to be selling the artifacts I have listed and was looking for some truth as apposed to anything told to me in shops.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread