Sluicing the urban creeks-NC

usarmedic

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took up an interest in gold hunting... new to the forum. I live in Charlotte, NC and have plenty of urban creeks running through the city. I have also seen on a gold mining website that there are/were several small mining operations that have been in my area as well as the surrounding counties. If anyone lives near me and wouldn't mind sharing some knowledge, let me know and we can hit the rivers/creeks... bought the Keene A51 sluicing kit, but have yet to use it.

IMG_20130902_183004.jpg IMG_20130902_182741.jpg IMG_20130902_182421.jpg IMG_20130902_182414.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only way to know for sure is to get out there and do some test panning to
see what is actually there. Test pan, test pan, and then test pan some more
till you find an area holding color...then it's time to put that new sluice to work.

Welcome to the forum, btw! :hello:

Nugget Noob

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
The wife and I are moving up to NC from Orlando next spring.
How do you choose your creeks without stepping on toes?

OP
OP
U

usarmedic

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several "pay for the day" places... but as far as the creeks I have found, I have never seen anyone panning the urban creeks. I just started panning as a hobby and to get my 14 yr old away from the video games- I'm still learning as I go :)

-and as far as this creek goes; I don't think anyone would want to go into it... it stinks of rotten eggs!

Last edited:

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-and as far as this creek goes; I don't think anyone would want to go into it... it stinks of rotten eggs!

The smell of sulphur means high mineral content, never a bad sign. :icon_thumleft:

Tackleberry

Jan 9, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just took up an interest in gold hunting... new to the forum. I live in Charlotte, NC and have plenty of urban creeks running through the city. I have also seen on a gold mining website that there are/were several small mining operations that have been in my area as well as the surrounding counties. If anyone lives near me and wouldn't mind sharing some knowledge, let me know and we can hit the rivers/creeks... bought the Keene A51 sluicing kit, but have yet to use it

Welcome to the sight. I also live in Charlotte. I have found some gold in the northern part of the county but have not tried to explore to many creeks. I usually head a hour or so west to the foot hills and mountains. A Pay to play sight i have had really good luck at Thermal City. $10 you can sluice all day in the creek and find gold. Below is one of my clean outs from Thermal from a couple weeks back. If you need someone to explore some more local creeks send me a PM. I use a bazooka gold trap. It needs some good water flow so most creeks in Clt may not be ideal but i cam pan all day :)

ForumRunner_20130908_102321.png

DynoGuy

Nov 10, 2013
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello usarmedic,
I'm new on this site and just started prospecting also, i'm planning on a trip to Uharrie NF around Thanksgiving as I have that week off and will be camping for a few days so if you want to come out let me know and we can make plans.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread