🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Small 19th c Eagle & Flag Pin

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8A089C80-385F-4CC9-8233-83745DA8AB6B.jpeg
AE6BAB25-C700-409F-9FCF-DEB7CA4687EA.jpeg
Good morning - I’m trying to ID this small eagle pin. I recognize the construction as circa 1840-1880, but I cannot figure out what group it was from - the “FOA”. Maybe Fraternal Order of ______? It is gilt silver w enamel. Thanks very much.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 2

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find, kudos to creskol for another great I.D. :thumbsup:

F of A History

The Foresters of America (F of A) was an American fraternal and benevolent organization that supported its membership with medical assistance, weekly sick benefits, burial benefits and support during times of unemployment or hardship. The Foresters of America also had social benefits, along with the financial. Its motto was “Liberty, Unity, Benevolence and Concord.” A member of a Court became a member of the organization regardless of location, meaning that benefits moved with the member, a novel feature at the time and one that inspired the inception of the Royal Foresters at Knaresborough Castle, England in 1745. In 1834, its name was changed to the Ancient Order of Foresters. By 1874, the Canadian and American branches separated from the Ancient Order of Foresters to form the Independent Order of Foresters, headquartered in Canada.

Separation from British friendly society administration was completed by 1889 when became the Ancient Order of Foresters of America. It then changed its name to Foresters of America in 1895. According to Stacy C. Hollander (2016) in her exhibition label for a Foresters of America ceremonial axe, the stories surrounding the Robin Hood legend and the biblical Garden of Eden influenced the rituals, regalia and props of the Ancient Order of Foresters, and thus that of the Foresters of America. The terminology used come from the British medieval forest courts: court instead of lodge, for example, and officers called Chief Ranger (President) or Woodwards. Today, the Foresters and Foresters Financial are trademarks and trade names of the Independent Order of Foresters. Foresters Financial is an international financial services provider for life insurance, savings, retirement, and other financial products. These companies operate in the US, Canada and the UK.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread