✅ SOLVED Small black enameled buckle or plate?

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this where I find all my civil war relics. I know it's just as old because the metal has turned purple just like the civil war button I found. It's about 1 1/16" x 1 3/8" and enameled black.

IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0891.JPG

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is part of a Victorian blacked enameled mourning brooch or pin.

Interesting :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did a little research and it looks like you are spot on! This type of jewelry was popular from around 1860-1880. Exact time period match. It was particularly popular among the women of the civil war because they were mourning the lost of their loved ones to the war. I would love to know the story behind this piece I found. Did a wife send it off to war with her husband for good luck? Maybe it was a war nurses? The possibilities are endless. Thank you so much for your input Breezie!! I was positive this one would go unsolved.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a little research and it looks like you are spot on! This type of jewelry was popular from around 1860-1880. Exact time period match. It was particularly popular among the women of the civil war because they were mourning the lost of their loved ones to the war. I would love to know the story behind this piece I found. Did a wife send it off to war with her husband for good luck? Maybe it was a war nurses? The possibilities are endless. Thank you so much for your input Breezie!! I was positive this one would go unsolved.

There was no other time in history that death was so celebrated as during the Victorian times. This site should give you the RDV of Victorian mourning. Victorian Era: Rules and costumes of mourning in the Victorian period

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions