demano

Dec 5, 2020
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Garret carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at long gone homesite, it was real deep and really gave an iron grunt. It has external ribs and the bore is the same diameter all the way to the end appears to have a real thick end. I would like to try and clean it, not sure of best way. Is this some sort of pocket cannon? Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• 20220408_134415.jpg
    20220408_134415.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • 20220408_134346.jpg
    20220408_134346.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
  • 20220408_134218.jpg
    20220408_134218.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • 20220408_134140.jpg
    20220408_134140.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 70

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at long gone homesite, it was real deep and really gave an iron grunt. It has external ribs and the bore is the same diameter all the way to the end appears to have a real thick end. I would like to try and clean it, not sure of best way. Is this some sort of pocket cannon? Thanks for any info.
Kind of looks familiar,but I don,t know what it could be.Is there any firing mechanism or provision for one?

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Demano asked?
> Small cannon?

Sorry to have to disappoint you, but the answer is definitely No.

The barrel of all actual cannons is always thicker at the breech (base) than at the muzzle end. That's because the "propellant" gunpowder charge is inside the breech/base, which MUST be able to withstand the enormous force of the powder's explosion (which propels the cannonball for a half-mile or more).

Your find's base appears to be less wide than the end which has the open hole. Note, I'm not counting the "flare" surrounding that end. I'm talking about the diameter of the tube's main body, excluding the ridges and the flare.

Upvote 5

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Demano asked?
> Small cannon?

Sorry to have to disappoint you, but the answer is definitely No.

The barrel of all actual cannons is always thicker at the breech (base) than at the muzzle end. That's because the "propellant" gunpowder charge is inside the breech/base, which MUST be able to withstand the enormous force of the powder's explosion (which propels the cannonball for a half-mile or more).

Your find's base appears to be less wide than the end which has the open hole. Note, I'm not counting the "flare" surrounding that end. I'm talking about the diameter of the tube's main body, excluding the ridges and the flare.
I,m going to embarrass myself here and say my first thought was some kind of concrete anchor,is it smooth inside or threaded?

Upvote 2
OP
OP
demano

demano

Dec 5, 2020
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Garret carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is smooth inside, but good call on some type of anchor the size is so big, makes sense, the hunt goes on. Thanks for the help, all.

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more try and then I give up. Maybe a base to be set in concrete,vertically,open end up.For a pole or upright to be inserted into,as maybe a railing that could be set up and then taken down easily.All I got! Hope you get it IDed, I love a mystery!

Upvote 1

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m going to embarrass myself here and say my first thought was some kind of concrete anchor,is it smooth inside or threaded?
That was my thought also.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread