Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found in a farm field in Minnesota where an 1865 homesite once stood. Obviously, it has been bent but I don't dare try to straighten it.

9OtNPXc.jpg

unnliGf.jpg

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
geez - i got one?
Brady

Not without proof. Do you know that's what it is, or do you think that's what it is?

This homesite was there when bicycles were first popular, and for not much longer (1865-1890 or so, I think).

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The six point star end if it is for a wheel nut doesn't seem like it would fit in for that time frame. I am not convinced it is not something modern dropped at the site.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The six point star end if it is for a wheel nut doesn't seem like it would fit in for that time frame. I am not convinced it is not something modern dropped at the site.

Can you find me a picture of a star-shaped bicycle wheel nut? I can't find anything like that.

Not impossible, but unlikely that a bicycle wrench would have been dropped in the middle of this cornfield. But stranger th
ings have happened, I guess.

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes please post a pic of a wrench like this .I've looked at lots of wrenches and can't find a match .
without a match it's use is still debatable. oh well at least it will be bumped to the top for some more views.
I know one of you guys will solve it for sure.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent some time looking, nada. Maybe it's one of the cheap stamped wrenches that come with "some assembly required" kits. Specific to that item. Good luck finding a match.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The star side is used on an external torx/star head bolt.

The question is, does or did any off road/mountain bikes, or dirt bikes come with that style bolt. Yes some bicycle/motorcycle/automotive brake systems used an external torx screw/bolt.

All that said it could theoretically be a bike combo wrench. Seeimg the Torx head screw didn't come out until 1967, that would make it a lot newer than the site is, if that is what it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The star side is used on an external torx/star head bolt.

The question is, does or did any off road/mountain bikes, or dirt bikes come with that style bolt. Yes some bicycle/motorcycle/ automotive brake systems used an external torx screw/bolt.

All that said it could theoretically be a bike combo wrench. Seeimg the Torx head screw didn't come out until 1967, that would make it a lot newer than the site is, if that is what it is.

The most recent items I found at the site (it belonged to my great, great grandfather, who got it after the Civil War) would be from the very early 1900s, and almost all from the late 19th century. An 1849 large cent, an 1868 Shield nickle, three toe taps, three IHPs, things like that. Nothing that you would consider even mid 20th century, certainly not any TORX wrenches.

It was also in the middle of a farm field, a very good walk from any road. Trust me... NOBODY is riding a bike out there. Nobody.

(Sorry if it comes across like I'm giving you a hard time, but I think this forum needs to be about proof, not guesses.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
ffuries beat me to the torx type of wrench info
i vaguely remember the old brake pad bolts looking
like a torx head BMX maybe

Upvote 0

terrafirma

Sep 9, 2020
new england
Detector(s) used
SE PRO, Safari, Excalibur II, Garrett gold scorpion, Whites PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The star shape will fit a square nut/bolt , which were common back then, six different ways.

The old "planet jr." seeders had a wrench that came with them for tightening up bolts in the field. They had square head bolts. The wrenches were usually cast , but maybe there were stamped steel versions?

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you find me a picture of a star-shaped bicycle wheel nut? I can't find anything like that.

Not impossible, but unlikely that a bicycle wrench would have been dropped in the middle of this cornfield. But stranger th
ings have happened, I guess.

I stated "If it is for a wheel nut" I couldn't find a bike wheel wrench with that type of nut either, that was main reason I said "If" and I really doubt any wrenches from that era would have a star opening. It just seems more modern.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That thing is tiny. Maybe 3 inches long if straightened out? Too small for a bicycle wrench.

I'm thinking sewing machine tool, although I can't find a pic of one anything like that.

1-antique-Singer-SIMANCO-23535-sewing-machine-wrench.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent some time looking, nada. Maybe it's one of the cheap stamped wrenches that come with "some assembly required" kits. Specific to that item. Good luck finding a match.

Not likely, given the rest of the finds in that same area. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread