Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't been out in a long long time but a friend asked if I can help him find a utility knife
razor blade in the grass that his wife may have lost cutting some weed guard fabric stuff.
Anyway, i stood the detector upright standing on its coil while I (quickly) did something
inside the truck but while I was bent over making room for the detector I heard SMASH!
Yup, it fell over! right on the top of the control box.....
Well, I looked it over and it looked fine,, No cracks or scratches but when I got to my friends
I wasn't even sure if it was working right or not.. It's been so long since using it'
Whats a good test to make sure things are all good? I mean it was working on coins and stuff
but how can ya really be sure EVERYTHING is good to go?
What would your AT Pro sound like on a stainless razor?
Maybe I'll just send it in for a quick check up huh?
Has anyone drop theirs like this also? What was your outcome?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your still picking up coins and its not erratic I would not worry about it. Turn your sensitivity down to find the knife. Since its big it will be easy to find on a low setting.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a stainless steel hose clamp on Tuesday, a recent drop right under the grass. I had my discrimination set at 35 and it was a low VDI number (upper 30s) and just a grunt for a tone.

Does he have an extra knife blade? Lay it just under the grass and do some tests to see what the AT Pro tells you. Then set your discrimination to the range where you see the blade with a low sensitivity.

Good luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope everything is OK and a solder joint didn't crack.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fell down a steep rocky embankment last summer while trying to detect a cut/wash out and my detector flew out of my hands and hit the rocks on the beach. It had a small scratch on the control box screen, which I have since been able to buff out. I thought it was toast for sure after an impact like that however it still is working fine. I think the ATP's are pretty tough.

OP
OP
K

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, so far everything seems to be working just fine...
I appreciate all the encouragement! LOL

Didn't find the the razor but yeh, he did have one that I tested and it did ring out
in the low 30s but no go on the find. I did pick up a hit, same VDI, but it was in the
area they had already covered with stone so that might have just been it.
Anyway, thanks again guys!
Pete

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Set pro mode, zero mode, zero notch, zero iron. On clean ground, set a silver dime and a copper small cent and a clad dime and a nickel and a zinc cent and a wad of foil and a pull tab and a rusty crown cap and a rusty piece of crap nail on the ground all scattered about at least ten inches apart. Ground balance the machine to said clean ground. Set sense to 2 or 3. Swipe coil over targets 4 or 5 inches up from ground. If the tecter is working right, the silver dime will sound high pitch, the small copper cent will sound high pitch, the clad dime will sound high pitch, the nickel will sound mid pitch, the wad of foil will sound mid pitch, the pull tab will sound mid pitch, the rusty crown cap will go low pitch, as well as the rusty piece of crap nail. Generally speaking. If your tecter is working anywhere near correctly at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread