SMELTING GOLD! 2 GOLD Buttons! CUBE to CRUCIBLE

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Have you ever wondered how much gold is left in your black sands concentrates after you have panned out the
majority of visible gold? Well, today we find out! To collect more black sands, we build an extension sluice for our
gold cube. Heat up the furnace, mix some fluxes, fill the crucible and start smelting gold!

New to black sand, plan on building a furnace to use as a smelter.

The top image a single grain of sand showing micron gold encapsulated within, this fact has been proven, by further ball milling the sand then leaching out the gold.'

Bottom image another grain from another area several hundred miles from the gold location, what your looking at is platinum.

Screenshot John Leach1.png

Screenshot platinum1.png

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I've often wondered about the old slag piles that the old time smelter's shop left as waste. I wonder how much gold was left in these slag dumps ?? It probly is just very small amounts of gold but none the less !:dontknow::icon_scratch:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
This Ready Mix plant used to get gravel from the river bars, then after many years of allowing the practice environment pulled their permit.

After losing the permit the owner purchased this mountain glacial deposit, gravel is hauled into the town, then washed.

Every prospector in town has dipped a pan into the wash plant ponds, all claim there's no gold. Turns out their right.

I had an assay done, and found 17 ppm platinum along with a host of other metals. The issue with platinum group metals is the market is much too volatile keeping buyers at bay.

The large outcrop at the pit has my curiosity, was planning to take some core samples, but never got around to it.

pit1.jpg

5.png

pit2.jpg

pit3.png

Last edited:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Assay from a clay sample, the specimen was a well weathered surface grab, later I could have obtained a sample from a depth of 175 ft from a water well bore hole being drilled on the Indian reservation.

The top row car 218 is the laboratory's reference sample used against my sample. was hoping to find rare earths worthy of staking a claim.

The rare earth elements are present but in small quantity's.

1.png

2.png

3.png

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I've neglected my studies, identifying metals using the blowpipe.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread