So a little saddened with detecting.

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my detector on Sunday and have been to a few parks and homes. Found mostly nails and random stuff. Was looked at funny by people in the park and had cops follow me. I didn't find anything at the homes I went to and I feel like it's a waste of time. My city isn't famous for anything in particular and I can't really travel super far. I guess I will stick with CRH. I am hoping to get a refund for my gear. I know I only used it for a few days and never expected to find anything awesome but was hoping for a wheat or something. I think because I have silver fever that I want to find everything. I love reading this forum and seeing what people pull from the ground.

Upvote 0

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those TV shows made it look easy...but its not. There is stuff everywhere (almost), you gotta keep at it and do your research. You will never go out every single time and find amazing stuff. But I can say the more you got out the chances of finding stuff increases and so does your ability to use your equipment.

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miroku, don't feel bad, I found a 1942 whet penny, some cans, A BOMB, some nails. :) I haven't given up hope yet though!

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should not get discouraged so quickly. I am new to this site, but not to detecting. It takes alot of work and research plus a little luck to become successful at anything. Stick with it and before you know it the sun will be shinning on you.

L

l2hunt

like chris said, do some research on your area, then learn your machine well and explore! the coolest coin i've found was last weekend after a year of hunting was a franklin half dollar, a 1962. i've discovered early on that you have to hunt some of the unusual sites. one day i was hunting a pile of junk in a corn field and pulled out a 1948 rosie, just happened to be walking by and swung the coil over it and bam, and that was after a very unsuccessful hunt too, so ya never know! good luck!

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that you shouldn't get discouraged. I have been MD for just over a year now and my story is not a lot different from yours. I have found coin, but it was all clad and I knew it would be because I was searching in a sand pile where my local community does a money find for kids every year. I found exactly $1.25 and other than that I have found a TON of pull tabs, some washers, and some nails. I was ready to give up just like you are, but then I let the experts take my detector one day while we were camping.... my kids! My 13yr old boy and 9 yr old girl took my detector determined to find something. In about 20 minutes they come back all excited that they had found a dime; to my astonishment it was a 46 Rosie! All I can say is it re-kindled my excitement for detecting.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
miroku, I have to say I loved your post. Not or the fact that you didn't find anything, but realizing detecting is not your cup of tea. :icon_thumleft:

I say this for all of those who reply when asked, what detector should I get and they reply the most expensive one :laughing7: There's nothing like shelling out upwards to several hundred dollars for equipment you may never use, and let it collect dust :tongue3:

Then again, someone will still come along now and tell you about that sweet silver finding machine for a grand very soon :laughing7:

I would best sum it up that detecting is a hobby the requires both research and luck. :tongue3: Just go out for the fresh air and the joy of possibly getting lucky.

Oh, as for the cop that is following you; think of it as your private security :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Miroku where you at? I am in Schererville indiana and looking to get a little farther out detecting. If your not too far we can meet and do some hunting together. Finds are tough around here, you really have to enjoy the hobby to stick with it. You probably will not find much, I have been at it about a year and have a jar half ful of kids jewelry(from playgrounds,schools) and a bunch of clad (cash lost and discovered) mostly pennies dimes, nickels. Nothing old, and I have been around, so if your looking for a big silver or ring find I would recommend returning your gear. Otherwise contact me on here (if not too far) we will do a hunt or go to the Indiana section at bottom of forum. Their are some other Indiana people looking to do hunts. Good luck what ever you do.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate everyone's response! This site is always friendly :D I know I should spend time on it but with what time I have then me actually getting my butt out of bed to go hunt probably isn't what I was meant to do. I do like CRH though. I got 2 boxes of halves today and got 6 40% ones. Nothing fancy but it satisfies my silver hunter in me :)

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you didn't spend a ton of cash on your equipment keep it and find someone to go hunting with you. I have had some horrible days too where all my son and I found are foot deep beer cans. I look at it as getting out of the house with the possibility of a cool find. Who knows, it could happen on your very next outing. Hang in there.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal detecting takes ambition and motivation to keep going. Stick with it and you will have both of those!

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take your time, the finds will come as this spring begins to warm up, good luck

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my detector on Sunday and have been to a few parks and homes. Found mostly nails and random stuff. Was looked at funny by people in the park and had cops follow me. I didn't find anything at the homes I went to and I feel like it's a waste of time. My city isn't famous for anything in particular and I can't really travel super far. I guess I will stick with CRH. I am hoping to get a refund for my gear. I know I only used it for a few days and never expected to find anything awesome but was hoping for a wheat or something. I think because I have silver fever that I want to find everything. I love reading this forum and seeing what people pull from the ground.

Keep in mind, those 5 minute videos you may watch on utube or wherever, are just small clips of a possible 5-7 hour hunt. It is really, in my opinion,.based on your mental fortitude. Your willingness to sometimes do whatever it takes to find what your looking for, if that means spending a couple hours a week at night researching, that's what you do. I was watching a new video by a young man who has been at this hardcore for years, he was removing stones from a well,..and after about 6 feet and a couple of hours he found nothing,He simply covered it up and moved on to another location. It's not always easy. .Good luck in your endeavors .

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that you shouldn't get discouraged. I have been MD for just over a year now and my story is not a lot different from yours. I have found coin, but it was all clad and I knew it would be because I was searching in a sand pile where my local community does a money find for kids every year. I found exactly $1.25 and other than that I have found a TON of pull tabs, some washers, and some nails. I was ready to give up just like you are, but then I let the experts take my detector one day while we were camping.... my kids! My 13yr old boy and 9 yr old girl took my detector determined to find something. In about 20 minutes they come back all excited that they had found a dime; to my astonishment it was a 46 Rosie! All I can say is it re-kindled my excitement for detecting.

Go kids!!!

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swinging the detector is only half of it. May not even be half depending on what it is your hoping to find. Without knowing where you are in Indiana it's hard to give advice about where to go. If your in Northern IN most of the cities have been used by MDer's for years. You may find clad coins and jewelry or (new drops) in city parks and tot lots, but most of this has already been cleaned up by those before you. As the weather gets nice the new stuff will begin again. If your looking for silver, doing the research is far more important than swinging the detector. Put yourself in a place with some history that dates back to the coinage your looking for is the best way to increase your chances. Your finds should reflect good research with the only variable being who if any has been there before you.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up! Learn your equipment as best you can, and hit some old public places. A little research goes a long way. I started a month ago, with silver in my dreams, but could only find clad. Discouraged and ready to hang it up, I kept chugging along and then came a beautiful barber dime. That first silver is a great experience, and it doesn't matter what is is "worth" because YOU discovered it. There are many like it, but THIS one is mine.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your being Bad Spart!!! Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just Think we thought Little Old Vancouver Wa had No History Until we Started Finding the Good Stuff!!!

Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• 071 (2).JPG
    071 (2).JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    903.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 178.JPG
    178.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 259
  • 215.JPG
    215.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 194

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO this thread should be a sticky. You are like hundreds of other people who buy a metal detector. Go out a few times. Strike out and give up. My signature says it all.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my twentieth year of tectin crap and I cant find any silver any more, and there aint much crap left either :crybaby2: . I'm workin on some new spots and new tactics, with different machines. I hope to post a good one this season. I hope.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread