So I started a YouTube channel

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most people don't like long intro's so keep em short. 7 to 10 seconds is more than enough time to let people know who you are and what is about to happen.
Stay on subject and don't be pushing one brand over another. If i get a hint of a sales pitch i am gone!
Do not beg for subscribers or likes...Total turn off!
Study TV shows...time each shot before they change the angle of view. multiple angles of the same shot keeps people interested.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not stand next to a road with cars driving by making all kinds of noises. Speak clearly and not real fast.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't watch much detecting vids, too much phony hype and sensationalism for me.

I would say, don't beg for clicks and subscribers, that sends me running. And don't post run of the mill penny/bottlecap finds, who wants to see that ?
Nora and some of the other chicks can get away with it because guys just want to see bikini shots [and she has slyly been doing that more and more lately], guys don't have it so easy.
I'd say you might do better doing review/tips vid of your machine than running around filming dug holes.

I should point out that Nora, in addition to being hot, is very good and naturally entertaining. She also uses alot of tech like drones and visits exotic and interesting locations, plus she snorkels and dives. Add all that together and I might watch even if she was a guy, but yes the bikini shots help and there is no way a guy can match that, unless you take a babe helper around with you, which actually is not a bad idea. Guys would watch a penny being dug up if she was squatting down there digging it up. Hate to be crude but thats the way things work, but mostly as others have said, just be yourself and if you are a jerk and boring, your videos will fail, if you have a good style and are entertaining, might succeed.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I should point out that Nora, in addition to being hot, is very good and naturally entertaining. She also uses alot of tech like drones and visits exotic and interesting locations, plus she snorkels and dives. Add all that together and I might watch even if she was a guy, but yes the bikini shots help and there is no way a guy can match that, unless you take a babe helper around with you, which actually is not a bad idea. Guys would watch a penny being dug up if she was squatting down there digging it up. Hate to be crude but thats the way things work, but mostly as others have said, just be yourself and if you are a jerk and boring, your videos will fail, if you have a good style and are entertaining, might succeed.

I would not offer to dig it for her . I would WATCH very CLOSELY to make sure she does it RIGHT :)___

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe wear a bikini top? That always seems to make youtube channels more educationally entertaining....:laughing7:

icecream

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you all the best with your beautiful youtube chanel. Ralf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I guess guys could try identifying as a hot babe and go out detecting in a bikini, these days you never know.

OP
OP
Qwest

Qwest

Sep 18, 2020
CENTRAL NY
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you doing a youtube channel? First decision, for sure. Are you doing it because you simply enjoy making the videos and sharing your experiences or are you desiring to build a large audience with the intention of eventually monetizing your channel? Entertainment or education, both, or really don't care? Do you even want a large audience? "A lot" of work and time required with a larger audience because they want that constant engagement, but do you really want to become that consumed by your channel? I had a large youtube channel and ended up deleting it because it became a job, all of my free time invested in that channel, now much better off with a very modest "post videos at my leisure" channel simply because I enjoy making them whenever that mood or notion strikes me. A big channel will become an everyday thing....do you really want that?

Cameras? The one I use the most "hands down" is the Coolpix W300, no fisheye, good audio quality, fits in a pocket, can be mounted on a harness or just about anywhere with the right adaptors, it's HD capable, can be tripod mounted, good zoom quality, waterproof, and reasonably priced. I never leave home without it but just don't make near as many videos I use to. I'm also a photographer with boatloads of cameras and gear so for me to be using the W300 I think that speaks volumes.

OH, and one last thing, do you just want to be yourself or do you want to become a character actor with a lot of catch phrases, etc.?

Not interested in monetization at all, basically started filming my digs for my Mother, who is really into detecting, but can't get out and do it anymore. She is the one who introduced me to the hobby and got me my first detector. I just was looking for advice on equipment. I use a gopro and my phone. I was wondering what other youtubers were using and what they found was best for detecting thats all. I love all the comments, some funny stuff, the bikini top thing would probably put my vids over the top, I'm sure my Mom would get a kick out of that! Any way thanks everybody for the advice lol

Last edited:

brainpan

Greenie
Jun 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go in and in the first few minutes I either continue watching or move on the the next. You catch a person's interest within the first few moments - minutes. Don't go thinking you are somebody without putting something behind it to help prove it to your viewers. text to speech iOS apps

Last edited:

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now what's with the scenes of driving to the sites-really what has the 10 minute drive with music got to do with detecting??
Most if not all have lost me really quick......

Monetized videos need more time to show ads. Otherwise, ignorance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread