so this is what people think of our hobby?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beach.jpg Came across this picture on FB and thought to myself how nice it would be to donkey punch the person who made it! just thought id share lol

Upvote 4

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the cartoonist was metal...they'd be a nugget of aluminum foil.

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell the gun and wipe my ... With the note

Exactly the first thought I had! I'm not trying to impress anyone, so I don't give a shoot what they think!

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Hey NJcigarman, next time someone asks "With all your money why look for change?" Tell them, How do you think I got all that money!

That'll change their tune!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a disgruntled homebody ,what they do not know is that when we leave the house is that we are all cool. We can dig it and best of all we are all swingers.8-) Its that hunter gatherer gene in all of us :thumbsup: We cant help it.

Atomic Ed

Jun 2, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
At Pro, ACE 350 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen many cartoons over the years, that pretty much make fun of just about every hobby, political view, etc... imaginable. I always think to myself what might the person who made that have been thinking that drove them to create it. I usually come to the same conclusion that they are either jealous of what they make fun of or are just plain bitter people and enjoy putting other down regardless of the subject. In the end I just laugh at their stupidity and feel sorry for their pitifulness in life.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How funny, I used to feel strange about how our hobby is perceived, especially as a water-hunter. The only times I was actually giggled at was when I already had gold in my pouch...maybe even theirs!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know that cartoonist was probably going to his job he hates. Saw somebody detecting having fun while he was going to work. He probably thought how stupid. Meanwhile the detectorist looked at him and thought how stupid. Lol.
I guess it's all a matter of point of view. He'll come around some day.
On another note. How many of us hear, I used to metal detect. I've got xxxx in my garage.
Then I wonder why'd they stop. Even if you go out a couple times a year. You'll never know what you'll come home with. Aside from the trash. Which I say is my duty to help clean the park(s) as part of my being human. Lol

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told a guy not long ago that I liked to MD and hunt for artifacts as a hobby. He replied.....oh your one of those guys :dontknow:. What did he mean by that?

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told a guy not long ago that I liked to MD and hunt for artifacts as a hobby. He replied.....oh your one of those guys :dontknow:. What did he mean by that?

what he meant is "oh my life sucks. i wish i had a hobby"

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe they think of us as the panhandler without the job. Except we're foraging through parks, beaches, deserts, and mountains oh and in the oceans, lakes , and streams. We're doing something or most people aren't. We are doing a hobby that has a reward. Whether its cleaning the land and taking the finds to get recycled. Finding old coins, relics, or even some elusive gold, silver, or several other minerals. What hobby ensures a daily payback of a couple bucks to possible thousands?
So I feel those that criticize are just jealous, because we've found a hobby that has a great bunch of people. Who for the most part like to help others and the environment, for nothing.
This forum is great. Thx

ace1968

May 21, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3000, ATPro, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting in town here recently and 3 girls rode by and whisted at me..... they were all about 17 years old and I am 45. I thought to myself well maybe they think metal detecing is cool, I even thought if they stopped I would show them how to do it and show them my IH penny and 2 wheats I had found. Then a few minutes later here they came again... I was right next to the sidewalk and they slowed down... I heard one girl saying...."one, two, three" and they all yelled "loser".... then I thought to myself I'm not going to shown them my IH penney and not going to let them swing my detector. It didn't hurt my feelings, I think they were just bored.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting in town here recently and 3 girls rode by and whisted at me..... they where all about 17 years old and I am 45. I thought to myself well maybe they think metal detecing is cool, I even thought if they stopped I would show them how to do it and show them my IH penny and 2 wheats I had found. Then a few minutes later here they came again... I was right next to the sidewalk and they slowed down... I heard one girl saying...."one, two, three" and they all yelled "loser".... then I thought to myself I not going to shown them my IH penney and not going to let them swing my detector. It didn't hurt my feelings, I think they were just bored.

dont even get me started on this generation of teenagers, our country is in doom someday morons like that run it

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Interesting responses. To the unknowing person, spending money and time to go look for a few coins and a lot of trash is close to insane. Personally sitting watching TV and most sports is to me Insane..

As for the joke, and guy sitting there into the night... Hmm do I turn it in, or keep it and sell it... The moral issues of treasure hunting... LOL

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one like the loser perception. Keeps people away from me while I am listening to the sweet music of my explorer. It is amazing the amount of people who think I am in it for the money. Sure, I find valuable things and on occasion I sell them. People always ask about the money. When discussing hobbies and the money comes up I tell them how much it costs and that I don't find much. :) Sometimes I ask them how many of them have come out positive in the money area with their hobbies. I really don't know where I am as far as money positive or negative and I don't care.

If I am your friend I will tell you that the solitude and me time is what I enjoy and every signal is a chance at something really nice.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
absolutely Pennyfarmer!

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Maybe they're thinking MDers are finding things that don't belong to them. Money, rings, watches and whatever. Well sorry those things don't come with tags on them saying "If lost please return to So and So." That's the way it goes. Yes sometimes things get returned but most of the time no. So if they don't want their thing's found by someone else they shouldn't lose them in the first place!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread