Soaked soil gives up foot deep LC

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out today for an afternoon hunt. Went to a spot I've dug a few large cents in the fall. We've had snow, rain, snow, thaw type of weather here the last few days. The ground I was hunting was super damp.

I was mainly there trying to dig up some iron to get it out of the way in hopes to reveal a few more signals. Went away from the iron for a while to concentrate on any whisper/deep targets. I got a faint blip from the F75. Did a series of passes over the target and every two of three swipes I'd get a very quiet and quick jumpy high tone. I was able to hone in on it with a 4 way pass and I was able to pinpoint so I dug. After cutting the plug and taking a couple shovels out I stuck the probe in the hole and there was a target dead center of it. Right away I figured that was a good sign it wasn't falsing iron! One more scoop and my 10" shovel blade was well under the soil. The probe sounded off good and strong on what was an 1853 braided hair large cent. I let it get a little crusty and went over it gently with a toothpick. My shovel gave it a tiny kiss but hey, it happens. Not the first or the last!

This was my deepest copper to date and will be very memorable......and also eye opening! Was also able to eek out a few more signals that ended up being two musketballs and what looks to be a bale seal which makes the second one from this site. I got a feeling there's some old silver at the very edge of detection on this site.

Thanks for taking time to look and HH.

20180212_174411.jpg
20180212_173211.jpg

Edit: looking closer looks more like 1833. Beeped high like a braided hair but I can't tell for sure.....it's just a tad lacking on the details!

Last edited:
Upvote 22

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice recovery! I found 3 last year within the pgh city limits but all in one area. I haven't been back to the spot with my bigger coil yet. I'd be more upset knicking a silver than a copper.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Love the old coppers! :icon_thumleft:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Even with the nick, a foot down recovery is impressive (to say nothing of a great coin). I kind of believe that the odds of tagging a find go up in relation to depth anyway. Good job [emoji106]🏻

I bet Professor of Engineering could prove that with some inverse equations 🤔

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a Coronet Liberty Head to me. Sweet find HighVDI just a chirp is all it took. Good ear :thumbsup:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find congratulations

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have neva eva got a LC!!!! Ugggh Congratulations on that deep coin and picking up that whisper. Great job HighVDI. Very proud of you.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Matron Head! That had to feel real good seeing the big roundness so deep. Great recovery and congrats!!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even with the nick, a foot down recovery is impressive (to say nothing of a great coin). I kind of believe that the odds of tagging a find go up in relation to depth anyway. Good job [emoji106]��

I bet Professor of Engineering could prove that with some inverse equations ��

It definitely stinks when it happens but it does from to time for me. I'm am aggressive digger, lol!

Looks like a Coronet Liberty Head to me. Sweet find HighVDI just a chirp is all it took. Good ear :thumbsup:

Thanks, Kevin! Honestly.....it was no doubt on the edge of detection and I think somewhat tilted in the ground. Only reason I even got it was the situation/mindset I was in that hunt. I guess sometimes it just works out. I do think you're right on the Coronet head too...

Nice recovery! I found 3 last year within the pgh city limits but all in one area. I haven't been back to the spot with my bigger coil yet. I'd be more upset knicking a silver than a copper.

Thanks! Yeah, these coppers are so wiped anyways it's all about the thrill of digging up the history for me! Good luck with the big coil. I found all 4 largies here with my tornado coil on.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3CE320A4-D1BF-43FD-A5CF-9F8BFE45E864.gif

Your Tornado coil manufacturer would be glad to hear about your find..I bet!

Way to go!

C1C112F3-C56C-40FB-A212-54825E26CA9A.jpeg

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have neva eva got a LC!!!! Ugggh Congratulations on that deep coin and picking up that whisper. Great job HighVDI. Very proud of you.

Thank you sir! The way you're tearing it up with the max I'm sure your pouch will be filling up with them soon enough.

Nice Matron Head! That had to feel real good seeing the big roundness so deep. Great recovery and congrats!!

Thanks Pa-dirt. You will laugh.....my first thought was if you're one of those tags I'm gonna throw my shovel over the hill! Haha.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done man! I do love LCs! It’s crazy just looking at them to think,”That’s a damn PENNY?” This is where knowing your stuff comes in. When the conditions are good and you’re paying attention,it can be a great hunt. Very nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread