Soda Bottles

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this bottle back in the 70's. My dad used to take me to a bottle dump in Chester Pa. looking for bottles. The bottle dump is long gone. . The bottle is from the Philadelphia coca-cola Bottling co. Maybe 1920's?
IMG_0871.JPG

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Nokta Makro, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this bottle back in the 70's. My dad used to take me to a bottle dump in Chester Pa. looking for bottles. The bottle dump is long gone. . The bottle is from the Philadelphia coca-cola Bottling co. Maybe 1920's? View attachment 2028936
oh wow thats awesome. any clue why it looks the way that it does?

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottle was found in a dump where the city of Chester would dump glass. Most the bottles in the dump where broken. This bottle has some chips in it. But I was lucky to find complete bottle.
Good save! We have an old Coke Plant here in my town. Must have been back in the day because the building is so small. We find bottles with our towns name on them every now and then.

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These bottles are a-lot newer probably from the 60's or 70's. RC, NEHI, London Dry and a Pepsi. No value to them but still fun to find. View attachment 2028937
I agree. They are fun to find. I have a good collection going myself. Do you have any Mountain Dew bottles?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't collect bottles but found this one while trout fishing a small stream in PA years ago near Boiling Springs. I was working upstream and came on to a small side-channel of the stream that I hadn't fished before. As I waded upstream, my foot hit something and it turned out to be this bottle. Guessing it had been underwater for many years...

It's from the John Kimple Bottler from Gettysburg, PA.

bottle1.jpg

bottle2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't collect bottles but found this one while trout fishing a small stream in PA years ago near Boiling Springs. I was working upstream and come on to a small side-channel of the stream that I hadn't fished before. As I waded upstream, my foot hit something and it turned out to be this bottle. Guessing it had been underwater for many years...

It's from the John Kimple Bottler from Gettysburg, PA.

View attachment 2028950

View attachment 2028951
That’s awesome! I wish I could stumble across something like that. Any idea of a year?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this...

John Kimple, of Gettysburg, known well usually soda or mineral water bottle making in 1880's-1890's. Their bottles are still in high demand.

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this...

John Kimple, of Gettysburg, known well usually soda or mineral water bottle making in 1880's-1890's. Their bottles are still in high demand.
What are the odds of stumbling onto a late 1800s bottle? Lol

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree and I often wondered if there weren't more treasures like it in that section of the stream.
You could always go back and check. I’d take a metal detector next time for sure.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old beer and soda bottles make up about 25 % of my collection In fact I have a John Kimple bottle . I also have several others from the Gettysburg ,Littlestown Newville area.Any time I find an old boob top from a local company I feel like I had a good day Congats on your find

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son finds them when he's excavating once in a while
That’s awesome! You have a good collection going. Any bottle that stands out from the others? Like name or one older than the others?

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old beer and soda bottles make up about 25 % of my collection In fact I have a John Kimple bottle . I also have several others from the Gettysburg ,Littlestown Newville area.Any time I find an old boob top from a local company I feel like I had a good day Congats on your find
I never thought of collecting old beer bottles. Do you have any pics? I’d like to see a few of your favorites from your collection.

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like a nice ice cold, sweating bottle of pop on a hot summers day back in the '60's.
I’m only 30, but I still buy soda in bottles when I can find them. To me, soda tastes so much better from a glass bottle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread