AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I am detecting a heavily wooded area near Cleveland, Georgia, in White County. There are no Civil War fields or camps in the area, but a lot of old logging roads.

Found a spot that was promising, but I just kept pulling up stones about the size of your hand. There is a a lot of quartz in the area, potential for gold.

But without spending much time on these rocks, what is the most likely explanation for rocks that set off the detector? Does Mica set off a detector? There is also the possibility for meteorites, but I know how slight that chance is.

Any insight about finding rocks, or better yet, how to avoid finding rocks, would be very appreciated.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I am detecting a heavily wooded area near Cleveland, Georgia, in White County. There are no Civil War fields or camps in the area, but a lot of old logging roads.

Found a spot that was promising, but I just kept pulling up stones about the size of your hand. There is a a lot of quartz in the area, potential for gold.

But without spending much time on these rocks, what is the most likely explanation for rocks that set off the detector? Does Mica set off a detector? There is also the possibility for meteorites, but I know how slight that chance is.

Any insight about finding rocks, or better yet, how to avoid finding rocks, would be very appreciated.
Thank you.

If you are finding softball sized meteorites, you're in the money.

Could be just iron ore deposits.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Post pics of a few once you have washed a few with water and a scrub brush. That will help determine what they may be.

Time for more coffee.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard AmericanGeode! Take a look at Forum: Georgia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

photo_camera.gif
2nd - I agree with galenrog - A picture(s) is worth a zillion words! If you are having problems posting pictures - take a look at: How to post pictures with your story...

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net AmericanGeode! Please try to post some pictures. Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot rocks - ick! A lot of granites are "hot" due to iron and other minerals in them. Gold also occurs near some granite deposits as both came up from the depths.

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I will make sure they continue to set off the detector, clean up, and post. Thanks again.

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the welcome. Can't believe I forgot to post photos in the first place, but will do that. Thanks again.

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I had hernia surgery and was out of commission for a while. I was able to get out this past Saturday.

What I am finding, as many of you suggested are hot rocks. I am in North Georgia, where I have learned here they are not uncommon.

What I encounter is a high frequency beep and a low beep in the same location. Does that sound right? Then almost assuredly I find a softball sized rock.

How to best filter out hot rocks please? Is that a function of Sensitivity, or of the Notch please? Attached here is my detector. Any suggestions to stop wasting time with hot rock, or should I allow the high and low beep be the indication? Thank you! IMG_6225.JPG

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do keep finding hot rocks. Do you have a suggestion for avoiding spending so much time on hot rocks? Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread