Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've messed up my back, so I don't think I'll be adding any new finds in 2021. When I think about detecting this year, it seems like I had more mystery items than in the two previous years. For the most part, each of these finds still unsolved, to some degree, but I do have some updates.

lion plate1.jpg
fairbairns lion.png
fairbairns families.png

This plate inspired a lot of discussion. In the end, I think Cru and Red-Coat was right. I was insistent that an American would not show off with an English family crest, but we ended up finding relics that were mid 19th C. and by that time the Rev War and War of 1812 were history. I used Fairbairns Book of Crests and found the families associated with this particular arrangement. According to the SC Archives, one of the family names was present in the area in the 1800's. Still don't know exactly what it was mounted to.

IMG_5248.jpg
dnw3.jpg

The button is my find. The breast plate is from a display at an antiques fair in Jamaica.

Here again, I would say that Cru and Red-Coat had it from the beginning. I have a good friend in Jamaica and he got the button seen by representatives of the Jamaica Defence Force Museum. I was also able to get feed back from Don Troiani. All agreed that it was a Jamaican militia button from sometime in the late 18th to early 19th century - maybe War of 1812. Still not sure if it was a militia raised by a wealthy planter. The crown casts some doubt on that. Also, have no idea how it got to the lowcountry of SC.

IMG_3547.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 3.45.49 PM.png

After much debate, I'm calling this a signal cannon, but I'm not even sure how signal cannons were used. The one I found on the Cisco's website is around the same size and is also missing trunnions. But, they don't seem to know what that one is either. One of my favorite finds of the year, anyway.

pendant front and back.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 7.15.09 AM.png

Not saying that either of these has anything to do with Vikings, but this pendant on the Vikingthings website is the closest object, stylistically, that I've found.

IMG_4598.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 3.15.44 PM.png

This cufflink did not inspire much interest, when I posted it, but I'm still very curious about it. The text says "Fide Et Amore." It's a motto found on commemorative objects such as these cufflinks, that I found on a website about 18th century material culture. It likely celebrates some event in British history, but what?

Anyway, it's been a fun year for detecting. Thanks for all the research help on all of these posts! And, good luck to everyone in the coming year!

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've messed up my back, so I don't think I'll be adding any new finds in 2021. When I think about detecting this year, it seems like I had more mystery items than in the two previous years. For the most part, each of these finds still unsolved, to some degree, but I do have some updates.

View attachment 1999356 View attachment 1999357 View attachment 1999358
This plate inspired a lot of discussion. In the end, I think Cru and Red-Coat was right. I was insistent that an American would not show off with an English family crest, but we ended up finding relics that were mid 19th C. and by that time the Rev War and War of 1812 were history. I used Fairbairns Book of Crests and found the families associated with this particular arrangement. According to the SC Archives, one of the family names was present in the area in the 1800's. Still don't know exactly what it was mounted to.

View attachment 1999360 View attachment 1999361
The button is my find. The breast plate is from a display at an antiques fair in Jamaica.

Here again, I would say that Cru and Red-Coat had it from the beginning. I have a good friend in Jamaica and he got the button seen by representatives of the Jamaica Defence Force Museum. I was also able to get feed back from Don Troiani. All agreed that it was a Jamaican militia button from sometime in the late 18th to early 19th century - maybe War of 1812. Still not sure if it was a militia raised by a wealthy planter. The crown casts some doubt on that. Also, have no idea how it got to the lowcountry of SC.

View attachment 1999368 View attachment 1999369
After much debate, I'm calling this a signal cannon, but I'm not even sure how signal cannons were used. The one I found on the Cisco's website is around the same size and is also missing trunnions. But, they don't seem to know what that one is either. One of my favorite finds of the year, anyway.

View attachment 1999371 View attachment 1999372

Not saying that either of these has anything to do with Vikings, but this pendant on the Vikingthings website is the closest object, stylistically, that I've found.

View attachment 1999373 View attachment 1999374
This cufflink did not inspire much interest, when I posted it, but I'm still very curious about it. The text says "Fide Et Amore." It's a motto found on commemorative objects such as these cufflinks, that I found on a website about 18th century material culture. It likely celebrates some event in British history, but what?

Anyway, it's been a fun year for detecting. Thanks for all the research help on all of these posts! And, good luck to everyone in the coming year!
Don,t know much about your finds except they,re quite interesting.I do know about a bad back,having had trouble off and on with mine for 30 years or so.Wishing you well with yours. I sincerely hope you get better soon!

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,t know much about your finds except they,re quite interesting.I do know about a bad back,having had trouble off and on with mine for 30 years or so.Wishing you well with yours. I sincerely hope you get better soon!
Thanks. I'm getting better. I've had issues on and off, as well, but this time was the worst. I was putting on my left sock and it felt like I'd been struck by lightning.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm getting better. I've had issues on and off, as well, but this time was the worst. I was putting on my left sock and it felt like I'd been struck by lightning.
Glad to hear that,backs can be very frustrating.I was standing at a drawing table once and just sneezed,took me to the floor and I had to crawl to the phone and call my wife to come get me.Couldn,t stand up.Any kind of exercise you can do to strengthen the core muscles will help,walking a lot helps me immensely. I sincerely wish you the best,I know what this is like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread