Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I'm hoping the experts on here can offer a bit more information on one of the buttons I found over the weekend in a southern NJ field with a home site that dates to colonial times.

I don't think the button is anything special, but it's different than others I've found and I'm just trying to learn. I thought it might be like a ball button, but it's not the right shape. It's a 1-piece and a mix of brass/tombac. It is NOT magnetic, which surprised me (I thought the shank was iron).

In the pictures below you can see the unusual button from different angles, and you'll see that it's sort of flying-saucer shaped, with a shank that is offcenter. In the fourth picture it's in the middle between a classic tombac (left, 1700's) and a "super fine" tiny cuff button (right, 1800's). All 3 were found near each other (within 50 feet).

I included a picture of all of the finds from the day, including all the lead (yellow box), the buttons (red) and various shoe buckle pieces (green), which I assembled into a sort-of Frankenstein shoe buckle in the last picture. Sadly the only coin I found that day was a wheat penny (I was with another detectorist who found a cut Matron Head LC and a 2-holed KG that was probably a whizzer/spinner - he found that while he was walking 5 feet to my left, which reminds me that this hobby is influenced by luck/chance quite a bit...).

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me about that unusual button.

- Brian

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1389a.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is it solid cast, or does it feel hollow? The hollow ones we call "puffback" buttons around my area, and they date to the 1700s like tombacs. They often have small air vents on the back from the manufacturing process.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it solid cast, or does it feel hollow? The hollow ones we call "puffback" buttons around my area, and they date to the 1700s like tombacs. They often have small air vents on the back from the manufacturing process.
Agreed, looks like one of those 18th C types.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you VaGent (and Crusader) for the information.
Upon more careful examination I think I can see where the air vent was once upon a time.

Huh - a "puffback" - I learned something new today, thank you!

S20220509_001.jpg

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heres a similar one from a colonial site in Virginia.

Attachments

• puffB.JPG
    puffB.JPG
    756.1 KB · Views: 70
  • puffF.JPG
    puffF.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 69

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I'm hoping the experts on here can offer a bit more information on one of the buttons I found over the weekend in a southern NJ field with a home site that dates to colonial times.

I don't think the button is anything special, but it's different than others I've found and I'm just trying to learn. I thought it might be like a ball button, but it's not the right shape. It's a 1-piece and a mix of brass/tombac. It is NOT magnetic, which surprised me (I thought the shank was iron).

In the pictures below you can see the unusual button from different angles, and you'll see that it's sort of flying-saucer shaped, with a shank that is offcenter. In the fourth picture it's in the middle between a classic tombac (left, 1700's) and a "super fine" tiny cuff button (right, 1800's). All 3 were found near each other (within 50 feet).

I included a picture of all of the finds from the day, including all the lead (yellow box), the buttons (red) and various shoe buckle pieces (green), which I assembled into a sort-of Frankenstein shoe buckle in the last picture. Sadly the only coin I found that day was a wheat penny (I was with another detectorist who found a cut Matron Head LC and a 2-holed KG that was probably a whizzer/spinner - he found that while he was walking 5 feet to my left, which reminds me that this hobby is influenced by luck/chance quite a bit...).

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me about that unusual button.

- Brian

View attachment 2025799
View attachment 2025800
View attachment 2025801

View attachment 2025802

View attachment 2025804

View attachment 2025805
great finds all around

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread