Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I tested some of the more common targets we might find at the beach and on land just as a "ballpark" reference in my on-going effort to transition from Minelab to XP.

These results are from my custom Beach program that I use most often on our beaches.

Be advised, the target TID's listed were derived from air tests. TIDs from targets found in sand or soil can be expected to vary somewhat. Your results conducted under similar conditions may also vary to some degree.

Recognizing that metallurgical composition of the many targets we find varies considerably, I'm still in the process of trying to determine an acceptable cut off tone break between low and mid level conductors on the Deus II scale....admittedly, a search that may be in vain. ???

Desu II Data.jpg

Last edited:

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice start. Which program did you use?

I found using the Deep HC program gives different results. For example, I am seeing a modern pull tab at 80 using Deep HC, and lower using other programs. I have not done extensive testing of this, but I do feel TID varies by program (at least using the original software V 0.6).

EDIT: not a modern pull tab but 70s style. Still rings up differently using different programs.

Also, wheaties and memorial pennies are usually different on most machines, even tho they have the same composition. That is what I have found on wild targets.

YMMV and thanks for getting the ball rolling on this.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice start. Which program did you use?

I found using the Deep HC program gives different results.
I discovered that just recently as well.

Testing a copper (pre-zinc) Memorial, for example, I got 93 with Park and 89 with General, and 90 with SensFT. A Buffalo nickel tested 59-60 on Park and a full 60 on General, and 62 on SensFT.

Now, my testing was quite simplistic and I may have influenced the numbers unknowingly by maybe not moving the coin at exactly the same distance from the coil, but it did seem pretty clear that there are differences.

I imagine the differences come from the frequency weighting being different.

---

On another note, just as with the Deus I, I rely more on the quality of the tone than I do on the TID when it comes to deciding dig/no dig. Generally, I will dig anyway if it sounds "good". But the knowing your TIDs are necessary when setting up a tone profile or a notch range.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I used my custom Beach program….the program I use most on our beaches. I too depend on sounds over TID. As I wrote, this list is intended as just a “ballpark”

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
One thing you'll notice if you conduct a similar test is that the TIDs will differ depending on which program and the particular settings you select. Example; the Morgan silver dollar TID ranged from 95-99 as I scrolled through the various programs. Why? I can't say for sure since I'm not a software engineer. I don't claim to be able to interpret the results, I just report the results! That's why I qualified the above results as "ballpark" TIDs.
My guess would be that the TID is affected by the frequency weightings and the settings which act as filters. But that's a guess on my part and is worth just as much as you had to pay for it. :laughing7:

JedinNC

Jul 7, 2009
Topsail Island/Raleigh, N.C.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II , Nokta Legend, Equinox 600, Excal II, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's M6
Primary Interest:
Thanks Dan! Great info. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tested some of the more common targets we might find at the beach and on land just as a "ballpark" reference in my on-going effort to transition from Minelab to XP.

These results are from my custom Beach program that I use most often on our beaches.

Be advised, the target TID's listed were derived from air tests. TIDs from targets found in sand or soil can be expected to vary somewhat. Your results conducted under similar conditions may also vary to some degree.

Recognizing that metallurgical composition of the many targets we find varies considerably, I'm still in the process of trying to determine an acceptable cut off tone break between low and mid level conductors on the Deus II scale....admittedly, a search that may be in vain. ???

View attachment 2027358
thanks will be working on my chart on my targets, helps to compare with others sometimes.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Different frequencies will change the TID, so if the programs you're using are each running at different frequencies the numbers may be different.

I'm using a Deus 1 which uses 'target ID Norm', which keeps the TID numbers consistent when using different frequencies. But you can turn off ID Norm, resulting in a different TID number for the same target when using different frequencies. This is helpful in determining if an iffy signal is worth digging. If the TID number changes when you switch to a lower frequency the target is more likely not worth digging. If it remains the same it's more likely a worthwhile target.

Since the Deus 2 is simultaneous multi frequency I'm not sure if or how it affects the TID, but I assume some of the programs run at different frequencies than others. Some may be more the higher range and others at lower ranges. If so, it might be working similarly to the Deus 1 when switching single frequencies.

Of course I'm speculating based on how the Deus 1 works. I'm not getting the Deus 2 for another couple months since my wife refused to let me buy it this past September because she insists she wants to get it for me for Christmas.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will take a few targets like a clad and silver dimes and test them across the range of settings to see what the XP2 is reporting.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Refer to the manual (always a last resort ??? ) and you will note that different programs on the Deus 2 use different frequencies (Page 11 quote: Unlike some multi-frequency detectors that offer fixed multiple frequencies, uses different high and low frequency combinations depending on the programs.); the reason for variying TID's on like targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread