🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Some kind of brass knob or cap... but to what?

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what I believe is a knob or cap. It is made of heavy brass. There are indentations for fingers to twist the object. It is threaded internally, like it screwed on to something. The top of the knob/cap has material embedded in it. I believe that material may have formed a wooden extension of this knob/cap. This object appears 1800s to me, but I'm no expert. Please see the attached photos. I'm just trying to get an idea of what this object was ever attached to, what its purpose was. Any educated ideas/guesses are appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• P1030975.JPG
    P1030975.JPG
    548.9 KB · Views: 131
  • P1030976.JPG
    P1030976.JPG
    768.1 KB · Views: 89
  • P1030977.JPG
    P1030977.JPG
    673.7 KB · Views: 84
  • P1030978.JPG
    P1030978.JPG
    653.9 KB · Views: 81
  • P1030979.JPG
    P1030979.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 81
  • P1030986.JPG
    P1030986.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 85
  • P1030982.JPG
    P1030982.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 90

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
2x Whites 5000d series 2, sears 5000d clone, 3x 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity have you tried to screw it onto anything? If you can find out what thread the mating piece would have been it will help narrow it down. Threads were standardized around 1864. The machine marks on that look to be made on a fairly accurate lathe. You should be able to find a bolt or threaded pipe that fits it. The red paint might also help you find out what it was used for after you determine the thread pitch.

Upvote 1

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like the non threaded end is sloppy for a factory made piece, and maybe a nail hole on one of the ridges… my first impression is it served a different purpose then someone crimped it… possibly to make it easier to grip like you said.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity have you tried to screw it onto anything?

I looked around my junk, but I can't find anything that matches the diameter of the hole that something else could screw into. The threads do look machined lathed inscribed though, I agree. There is no red paint on the object, that's just oxidation. I can see how it looks like paint in the photo though.

someone crimped it… possibly to make it easier to grip like you said.

Definitely possible the object was crimped, as the indentations are not uniform and clean. Or maybe the crimped end was supposed to insert internally into another object, like a pipe or fitting.

It's definitely an oddball little thing I found. I can understand if it's not an object that can be accurately identified. I do appreciate the input though fellows.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oil filler cap ?... tractor or mower / bush hog related possibly

Missed this reply earlier, the idea seems plausible. Definitely could be a cap used for a fluid repository.

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a relook at your item i withdraw my original guess for i don't think it is a cap... I say this due to the iron inserted ... obviously on purpose... again yes "crimped" and again on purpose...

Some things pop immediately in my mind with this... LIKE....

Flag pole topper ornament... Even cannon linstock part of some type crossed my mind...
and all types of other things.. even weather vane part.

Not saying your item could be...or is... any of those things... but it definitely is odd.

Upvote 1

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any guess on the material in the star end or is it just dirt?
I think the material inside the crimp is a clue. Maybe there was an iron tool crimped on and a handle screwed into it? :dontknow:

Upvote 0

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
2x Whites 5000d series 2, sears 5000d clone, 3x 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rather mundane idea ... could it be where a broom handle would go into a wooden broom? Just a thought

Upvote 0

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
Could it be some sort of spray nozzle? It's hard to tell if there is a passage through from the pictures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the material inside the crimp is a clue. Maybe there was an iron tool crimped on and a handle screwed into it?

could it be where a broom handle would go into a wooden broom? Just a thought

The material inside appears to be corroded iron, it's not dirt or clay. I hadn't considered that maybe a handle screwed into the open end. Makes me wonder if this brass bit was part of a whisk tool, with iron whiskers and a wooden handle. Or some other kind of tool that would have iron on one end, and a wooden handle on the other.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be some sort of spray nozzle? It's hard to tell if there is a passage through from the pictures.

There's no continuous hole going through the object. The interior base is solid.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread