Some kind of Tool?

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this today in a park that dates to the 1960's.

There is a chain-link fence around the park and train tracks that run nearby. So, wondering if it could be some kind of fencing tool, or something for trains?

It is about 23 inches long, and probably weighs about 15 pounds. It looks like the head was adjustable up and down the shaft, because there is a tightening/cenching device on the back of the head.

Any idea what it is?

Thanks,

Bryan Tool 1.jpg Tool 3.jpg Tool 2.jpg Tool 4.jpg

OP
OP
BryanM362

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Mekong Mike...car jack. My first thought on seeing the photo was "That kinda looks my old VW Beetle jack." I'd be willing to bet the small rod at the top would turn and move the head/saddle along the shaft. Possibly it is some other type of jack/spreader and the small rod clamps the saddle at a fixed position. Just my 2 cents (US) worth...that's about 3 Euro cents :)

Good luck and I look forward to the definitive answer whatever it might be.

Happy hunting,

Batch

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little clamp wouldn't hold the head from sliding down the shaft with the weight of a car on it. Originally, I thought it was part of a bar clamp but it looks wrong for that too. I'm still mulling it over......

Upvote 0

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again...

Two things. First, can you use a wire brush on it to remove some rust/scale/crud? Maybe there are markings underneath plus any other mechanical details revealed (like threading in the bar) may bring that Eureka moment to someone. Second, at the end of the heavy bar opposite the "head", is that a ball shape? (like a the end of a "C-clamp" where the swivel foot attaches)

That thing sure does look familiar. Thank you CudaMark for "bar clamp"! That was the word I was looking for when I wrote "Possibly it is some other type of jack/spreader and the small rod clamps the saddle at a fixed position" in the above post. I just couldn't find the word :)

Good luck!

Batch

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd dip it into some Evaporust to see if any detail come out before I hit it with anything as abrasive as a wire brush.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread