Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are some of my best finds, oldest finds, and finds I like best while I was posting on TN. Unfortunately,
I have been diagnosed with terminal cancer and the doctors gave me 1-3 years to live as of April. I'm not sure
I'll ever hunt again but I wanted to post these as a memorial to what can be found with a metal detector,
the right place, and determination and patience in the field.

If you stick with it and read about where to hunt (educate yourself) and have lots of patience - you can actually
find some pretty nice things. I read many books, magazines, belonged to a TH'ing club (briefly), and hung out
on TH'ing find sites where people shared their experiences.Those things, research and meeting some nice people who
gave me some old sites to hunt - all helped yield these finds. I remember them all fondly.
I read "Lost Treasure" magazine (gone now) and Western and "Eastern Treasures magazine" for many years.
I have many of Charles Garrett's and Karl von Mueller's books on metal detecting, cache hunting, beach hunting
etc. They are both good sources. The more you know about the subject - the better your odds of finding good things.
Living in any Colonial area is definitely a big plus.

I wish you all the best in the field, researching new places, and finding some 'honey holes' with some old coins
or whatever you are searching for in the field. Find the best equipment you can afford, learn that equipment,
and put that learning to use whenever you can. It will pay off! Happy Hunting! - Ocean7

'live long and prosper...'

yeah, you'll have to click on each of 9 blocks to see full size photos.
attachment.php
Tobacco shop token, rare, possibly one of a kind still in existence. If you find one - let me know. Found in Bucks County, PA along with coins dating 1723-1809 as a time frame.

Attachments

• Ocean1.jpg
    Ocean1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,337
  • Ocean2.jpg
    Ocean2.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Ocean3.jpg
    Ocean3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 271
  • Ocean4.jpg
    Ocean4.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Ocean5.jpg
    Ocean5.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Ocean6.jpg
    Ocean6.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 279
  • Ocean7.jpg
    Ocean7.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Ocean8.jpg
    Ocean8.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Ocean9.jpg
    Ocean9.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 282
  • Tobacco Shop Token.jpg
    Tobacco Shop Token.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Upvote 36

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean.. I am very impressed with the quality of your finds.. There is an amazing array

of finds.. and I know whereof you speak re the cancer.. 20+ years ago, I was told I was on

the way out and to expect no more than a few months.. I am very fortunate that I have a wife

of 53 years who, for whatever reason, still loves me..Mayhaps that is why I am still around.. It would have been

very easy to give up.. But she and my family have sustained me.. and while I still have 'those' days,

I am more than willing to put up with them to be with my family.

I do love the 'any day'...quote too.

My saying, other than my signature, goes to the affect 'Any day pushing grass down is better than

pushing it up'

My best to you

Micheal

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ocean.. I am very impressed with the quality of your finds.. There is an amazing array

of finds.. and I know whereof you speak re the cancer.. 20+ years ago, I was told I was on

the way out and to expect no more than a few months.. I am very fortunate that I have a wife

of 53 years who, for whatever reason, still loves me..Mayhaps that is why I am still around.. It would have been

very easy to give up.. But she and my family have sustained me.. and while I still have 'those' days,

I am more than willing to put up with them to be with my family.

I do love the 'any day'...quote too.

My saying, other than my signature, goes to the affect 'Any day pushing grass down is better than

pushing it up'

My best to you

Micheal
well thanks very much - that's encouraging to be sure! And thanks for you comment on my finds. Ah 'Hub McCann (Secondhand Lions)' quote - know it well. Good one. Yes, I was pretty depressed initially but heard similar stories from 'Gare' on this site and a few others like Sergei 3 which was helpful. Then I got that chinese forture cookie saying, ' any day above ground is a good day' and I thought to myself, 'hell yeah!' Right now, I'm holding at 35,000 feet and hope to do as much metal detecting as I can. Early on my dentist's immediate response upon hearing my situation and diagnosis said, 'maybe you'll prove them wrong!' I thought well there's something to shoot for - I have nothing to loose. Thanks again for your story, stay strong, and God bless!

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean you have a FANTASTIC collection of FINDS !!! I would live to go detecting with you!!! Thank you for sharing with us. What do you consider the best way to find places to detect ?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just seeing this thread. Amazing the way your story is "continuing". A great pick-me-up to start my day. Thank you for sharing your story.

"Second Hand Lions!" I haven't thought of that movie in a couple of years but it is one of my favorites.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just seeing this thread. Amazing the way your story is "continuing". A great pick-me-up to start my day. Thank you for sharing your story.

"Second Hand Lions!" I haven't thought of that movie in a couple of years but it is one of my favorites.
thanks PetesPockets55! And what a difference one year can make with cutting edge technology. I am very blessed at this point no matter where this trail may lead. HH!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ocean you have a FANTASTIC collection of FINDS !!! I would live to go detecting with you!!! Thank you for sharing with us. What do you consider the best way to find places to detect ?
thanks Gare! Read Carl Von Mueller and Charles Garret's books
Free E-books by Charles Garrett

or watch some of the best treasure hunters on Youtube. Among them would be:
Quarter Hoarder
the hoover boys
finding america metal detecting
west country clegg
Aquachigger
GMMD
Note where they are metal detecting, what type of places, ask yourself how did they find these spots? As for me, I look for old places - the older the better. 100 years or more is really good!
But people lost stuff all over the country. Places some would never think to hunt. You have to think outside the box. Here's some photos of a place I was finding some of my best coins. Would most people hunt here? Nope. Nothing comes easy but research can really pay off especially old maps showing trading posts, stage coach stops, fairgrounds, old race tracks, swim holes, river ferry crossings, old taverns now gone, old abandoned houses in the woods, civil war maps, creeks used during wars, etc.

Attachments

• 102_0216b.jpg
    102_0216b.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 102_0217b.jpg
    102_0217b.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 102_0218b.jpg
    102_0218b.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 102_0219b.jpg
    102_0219b.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 102_0221b.jpg
    102_0221b.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 102_0222b.jpg
    102_0222b.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Gare! Read Carl Von Mueller and Charles Garret's books
Free E-books by Charles Garrett

or watch some of the best treasure hunters on Youtube. Among them would be:
Quarter Hoarder
the hoover boys
finding america metal detecting
west country clegg
Aquachigger
GMMD
Note where they are metal detecting, what type of places, ask yourself how did they find these spots? As for me, I look for old places - the older the better. 100 years or more is really good!
But people lost stuff all over the country. Places some would never think to hunt. You have to think outside the box. Here's some photos of a place I was finding some of my best coins. Would most people hunt here? Nope. Nothing comes easy but research can really pay off especially old maps showing trading posts, stage coach stops, fairgrounds, old race tracks, swim holes, river ferry crossings, old taverns now gone, old abandoned houses in the woods, civil war maps, creeks used during wars, etc.
If you found a lot of coins do you think this was some kind of commercial place (store, trading post, etc)?

Speaking of unexpected, at an estate sale I bought an 1887 book of new Vermont laws that had been partially filled with cooking recipes pasted on the pages. In looking through it I came across info for leases from the state for operating ferry crossings and was able to determine the location and length of the different leases. I used that info on Google Earth to look at conditions and accessibility. Unfortunately I don't live in the area or have plans to visit but I was using the book as a learning experience and wanted to share this info and experience with others.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean7 I EXPECT you to PROVE the Doctors WRONG we are all PULLING FOR YOU :) my friend !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread