kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,Thought i would show off some of my better buttons.The navy button that has a reversed shank i saw was on the cover of a garrett brouture.I found 2 of them recently and would appretiate any info y'all might have about them. Thank's !

Attachments

• Mvc-010s.jpg
    Mvc-010s.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 812
  • Mvc-005s.jpg
    Mvc-005s.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 808
  • Mvc-004s.jpg
    Mvc-004s.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 803
  • Mvc-003s.jpg
    Mvc-003s.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 808
  • Mvc-001s.jpg
    Mvc-001s.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 805

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Those buttons are in very nice shape and the dog button isreally cool. There are severqal forum members who are button experts and will be able to hel;p you obtain info about them. Nice finds.

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
Those buttons are in very nice shape and the dog button isreally cool. There are severqal forum members who are button experts and will be able to hel;p you obtain info about them. Nice finds.
Dog button is an early sportsmans button that i found at the homesite of a Revolutionary war general,The artillery buttons are sometimes called chicken colonel buttons from the war of 1812,The civil war button i think is a Virginia state seal ???that i found in Fredricksburg VA.The navy buttons are also from the war of 1812,i was curious if there was a reason they would have reversed the shank and if this would take away from the value ???Thank's Gypsy ! :)

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again ! I was also wondering if anyone knows anything about the three buttons in the top of the group picture? They are silver plated and have a wreath and crown on the back.Thanks again HH !

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Buttons!

CenterHit

Sep 5, 2005
TN
Here is what I know about your buttons

First one is a US navy button they where made with the shanks attached on the wrong side or some reason.

Second the dog button is a typical sportsman type button from the 1800's era

Third is the eagle and cannon button. US artillery button dates from 1808-1821 era.

Fourth is a Virginia State seal button. Post of a pick of the backmark and I will tell you if its Civil War era.

In the last pic there is a US infantry (The button with eagle and I in the shield) and the Green looking button is a General Staff Officers button. If you post pictures of these I will also try to date them.

Good looking collection of buttons!! Congrats on your finds.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galil said:

First one is a US navy button they where made with the shanks attached on the wrong side or some reason.

I disagree, I think it's just a backmark.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galil said:

Third is the eagle and cannon button. US artillery button dates from 1808-1821 era.

Fourth is a Virginia State seal button. Post of a pick of the backmark and I will tell you if its Civil War era.

In the last pic there is a US infantry (The button with eagle and I in the shield) and the Green looking button is a General Staff Officers button. If you post pictures of these I will also try to date them.

Yes.  Check out post #3. ::)

And by the way, that is most certainly a Virginia State Seal CW button. Specific type depends on backmark, of course. Looks like Albert VA4, VA5 or possibly VA6.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Galil said:

IN REFERENCE TO THE NAVAL DEVICE BUTTON:
Iron Patch is correct, at least in agreement with what Warren Tice has said in his book "Dating Buttons" "The use of eagles , and the U.S. navy device in the backmarks was a ploy by English manufacturers appealing to American patriotism. Ref: Page 44 from Mr Tice's book.

So, the button should not even be considered a Naval button, but a Civilian button from around the 1820's.

Don

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galil said:

Thanks Galil ! This is an old post and I've learned a bit since then. ;)

BuckleBoy said:
Galil said:

Yes. Check out post #3. ::)

And by the way, that is most certainly a Virginia State Seal CW button. Specific type depends on backmark, of course. Looks like Albert VA4, VA5 or possibly VA6.

Thanks Buckleboy,The backmark is "Schuyler mfg N.York." ? Is that right,made in New York for the confederacy ?

Don in South Jersey said:
Iron Patch said:
Galil said:

IN REFERENCE TO THE NAVAL DEVICE BUTTON:
Iron Patch is correct, at least in agreement with what Warren Tice has said in his book "Dating Buttons" "The use of eagles , and the U.S. navy device in the backmarks was a ploy by English manufacturers appealing to American patriotism. Ref: Page 44 from Mr Tice's book.

So, the button should not even be considered a Naval button, but a Civilian button from around the 1820's.

Don
Thank's Don,You are a fount of great info bud ! Now i got another question for you ! In my original post i was curious to know something about the buttons with the crown and wreath backmark,I've found a few of these and have often wondered who the manufacturer of these may have been.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The backmarked crown buttons, of which I have at least a dozen, were also made by British manufacturers to cater to the interest of the Brits in order evidently make their buttons more desired over others. So age is possibly 1800 into the 1820's. Same Reference as the Navy Device information.

Don

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in South Jersey said:
The backmarked crown buttons, of which I have at least a dozen, were also made by British manufacturers to cater to the interest of the Brits in order evidently make their buttons more desired over others. So age is possibly 1800 into the 1820's. Same Reference as the Navy Device information.

Don

Thank's Don ! ;D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa, Kieser! :o Super buttons! :o