Some OK hunts, 1 with civil war lead and a little silver in the freezing weather

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cold snap was a bummer. It got down to 8 degrees with 30 mile an hour winds and we had another inch of snow. The good thing is it was above freezing for a day or 2 and the snow insulated the ground so it didn’t freeze as hard as it could have. I still had to punch through an inch or 2 of frozen ground, but I can handle that. My old shovel is getting worn out and has developed a weak spot after 6 years of tough digging so I bought a new one to convert to my digger. Because of the rocky and sometimes frozen conditions I need a heavy duty shovel and I don’t like paying a bunch to get one. So I buy a $30 trenching shovel and cut it down to size with a pointed tip instead of the normal blunt end. It doesn’t take long to do and I really like how this shovel performs for me. This one has a slightly different style blade, but the handle is nicer and I think it will do fine.

68FF29B8-9175-4BC2-84D3-9778F7E4BD9A.jpeg 1832A9F8-32F4-466A-9D2D-B883CEB8B114.jpeg

I went to a set of sports fields and did some walking around trying to find some goodies. Covid-19 has kept a lot of the sports teams from having games and practices over the past 2 seasons so not a lot of new stuff. In 4.5 hours with the Cz21 I did manage to find 56 coins with a face value of $3.71, a beat up round ball, a smoking device, tabs and can slaw.

785F827B-6AA0-48C5-958C-C99215E845CE.jpeg

The round ball is a .69 caliber I believe. I have found other civil war bullets here so that is a possibility. It was near the road and they did a lot of work in this part of the park over the past 2 years so no surprise it is a mess.

3ACFEDF6-483C-4781-BDF5-6113A70D03CA.jpeg

Then I went to another set of ball fields and spent another 4.5 hours and found 52 coins with a face value of $4.13, some bits of football equipment on the pee wee football field, tabs and slaw again. There was a 1957 D wheatie among the pennies.

C189FD96-C26F-439D-811E-9574A885DEBB.jpeg

My last hunt before the snow begins was to the middle school (a side note, I do have written permission to detect the schools. Around here schools are off limits if you don’t get permission first.) This was the coldest day. It was 19 degrees when I started and got up to a whopping 27. I tried the neoprene fishing gloves Lenrac2 recommended on one hand and the mitten on the other. My fingers still got numb at 19 degrees on the neoprene hand and we’re fine with the mitten. The neoprene was ok when the temps got above 25 later in the morning.

In 5 hours I did manage 70 coins with a face value of $2.46 (no quarters today, bummer), a set of keys, a GOD BLESS AMERICAN hat pin without the pin, a kiddie ring, a sinker, 2 civil war bullets, an earring, an assortment of junk including tabs and can slaw as always with miscellaneous construction metal as well.

287B65AD-457E-41E2-B600-C7EE7E5956B2.jpeg

I found a new location on the school property for these 2 bullets. They are scattered around the property. This is the 4th spot I have found them so far. They are a .58 caliber minie ball and a Williams type III without the zinc pin. The minie was in a gravel path (you can see the gravel in the picture) so it’s kind of beat up on 1 side and the cleaner was about 8 feet away. It’s amazing they are in as good a shape as they are considering they were probably moved around several times by heavy equipment during construction and final grading for the building.

3E11D610-C5C5-4389-A231-C9210449DD2A.jpeg

5C01C9D7-A4FA-40BE-9EB1-EFD1EE84D310.jpeg

The ring was nicely ornate at one time before the soil ruined it. The earring is silver with a round cz, but the broken earring back attached is not silver. I find a lot of these in the water, but very few on land. This one was about an inch down below the grass.

B81E4B8D-1BE7-4B7B-8883-7AA3138A64F5.jpeg

What do you get an old guy who doesn’t need a lot for Christmas? One of my daughters came up with a good idea. A tee shirt that says in big bold letters “CAN I METAL DETECT IN YOUR YARD?” When it warms up I will have to wear it around town and see if I get any takers. Probably one of the best Christmas gifts I ever got.

AB4F7D55-BFD3-41BF-B933-0FB1C8E06150.jpeg

So detecting in the cold weather with semi frozen ground did add to the clad total for the year and a few goodies for the school (they will get the civil war stuff to display at the school). The new digger did a good job, the new gloves will be ok as long as it is not too cold and a new tee shirt to help advertise my hobby. More good exercise in the fresh cold air to keep the old guy healthy. Not a bad week when you think about how it could have been. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

P.S. as I write this the snow is coming down hard and it’s going to get deep so this may be the last post for a while. I hope your weather is more promising than mine.

Upvote 13

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the shirt! Your daughter must really love you! A few years ago my daughter got a t-shirt for me that said “Beach better have my money”.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cold snap was a bummer. It got down to 8 degrees with 30 mile an hour winds and we had another inch of snow. The good thing is it was above freezing for a day or 2 and the snow insulated the ground so it didn’t freeze as hard as it could have. I still had to punch through an inch or 2 of frozen ground, but I can handle that. My old shovel is getting worn out and has developed a weak spot after 6 years of tough digging so I bought a new one to convert to my digger. Because of the rocky and sometimes frozen conditions I need a heavy duty shovel and I don’t like paying a bunch to get one. So I buy a $30 trenching shovel and cut it down to size with a pointed tip instead of the normal blunt end. It doesn’t take long to do and I really like how this shovel performs for me. This one has a slightly different style blade, but the handle is nicer and I think it will do fine.

View attachment 2003914 View attachment 2003915

I went to a set of sports fields and did some walking around trying to find some goodies. Covid-19 has kept a lot of the sports teams from having games and practices over the past 2 seasons so not a lot of new stuff. In 4.5 hours with the Cz21 I did manage to find 56 coins with a face value of $3.71, a beat up round ball, a smoking device, tabs and can slaw.

View attachment 2003916

The round ball is a .69 caliber I believe. I have found other civil war bullets here so that is a possibility. It was near the road and they did a lot of work in this part of the park over the past 2 years so no surprise it is a mess.

View attachment 2003917

Then I went to another set of ball fields and spent another 4.5 hours and found 52 coins with a face value of $4.13, some bits of football equipment on the pee wee football field, tabs and slaw again. There was a 1957 D wheatie among the pennies.

View attachment 2003918

My last hunt before the snow begins was to the middle school (a side note, I do have written permission to detect the schools. Around here schools are off limits if you don’t get permission first.) This was the coldest day. It was 19 degrees when I started and got up to a whopping 27. I tried the neoprene fishing gloves Lenrac2 recommended on one hand and the mitten on the other. My fingers still got numb at 19 degrees on the neoprene hand and we’re fine with the mitten. The neoprene was ok when the temps got above 25 later in the morning.

In 5 hours I did manage 70 coins with a face value of $2.46 (no quarters today, bummer), a set of keys, a GOD BLESS AMERICAN hat pin without the pin, a kiddie ring, a sinker, 2 civil war bullets, an earring, an assortment of junk including tabs and can slaw as always with miscellaneous construction metal as well.

View attachment 2003920

I found a new location on the school property for these 2 bullets. They are scattered around the property. This is the 4th spot I have found them so far. They are a .58 caliber minie ball and a Williams type III without the zinc pin. The minie was in a gravel path (you can see the gravel in the picture) so it’s kind of beat up on 1 side and the cleaner was about 8 feet away. It’s amazing they are in as good a shape as they are considering they were probably moved around several times by heavy equipment during construction and final grading for the building.

View attachment 2003919

View attachment 2003921

The ring was nicely ornate at one time before the soil ruined it. The earring is silver with a round cz, but the broken earring back attached is not silver. I find a lot of these in the water, but very few on land. This one was about an inch down below the grass.

View attachment 2003922

What do you get an old guy who doesn’t need a lot for Christmas? One of my daughters came up with a good idea. A tee shirt that says in big bold letters “CAN I METAL DETECT IN YOUR YARD?” When it warms up I will have to wear it around town and see if I get any takers. Probably one of the best Christmas gifts I ever got.

View attachment 2003913

So detecting in the cold weather with semi frozen ground did add to the clad total for the year and a few goodies for the school (they will get the civil war stuff to display at the school). The new digger did a good job, the new gloves will be ok as long as it is not too cold and a new tee shirt to help advertise my hobby. More good exercise in the fresh cold air to keep the old guy healthy. Not a bad week when you think about how it could have been. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

P.S. as I write this the snow is coming down hard and it’s going to get deep so this may be the last post for a while. I hope your weather is more promising than mine.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'm part of a club now lol. Mine is different but same concept. My cousin got this one for me on Xmas.

Attachments

• 16424372384433851153873558843189.jpg
    16424372384433851153873558843189.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2003914 View attachment 2003915

View attachment 2003916

View attachment 2003917

View attachment 2003918

View attachment 2003920

View attachment 2003919

View attachment 2003921

View attachment 2003922

View attachment 2003913

.69 was also a Rev War caliber, the French Charleville musket, supplied to US troops.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on all your recoveries and your determination to continue to hunt rewarded you
I like your shirt and I think I’ll get one
Thank you for the nice post

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt and Saves. I like the Minnie's and your modified shovel. That should d the trick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread